Oncology (General Cancer)/cause of cancer

Question
QUESTION: Dear Sir,

I have seen as per the latest findings, the scandinivian countries have the highest cancer rates.

So i wanted to know the reasons for the causes of cancer in Sweden?scandinivian countries.

abhimanyu

ANSWER: The reasons - as far as we know - are complex. The fastest growing cancer death cause is from malignant melanoma, a skin cancer. The main cause of that cancer is ultraviolet (UV) light. Many Swedes are rather pale skinned, some even freckled. Blue or green eyed and blond or red haired. All factors we know increase the risk of this cancer if you are exposed to UV light. That did not matter much when Swedes stayed at home. Now however many, even most, travel to Thailand, or Florida, or the Canary Islands - outside Morocco - and fry themselves on the beaches there. A habit they are not constructed for!  Another factor here is tanning booths, something I dislike intensely! Breast cancer is also increasing. Known factors that increase the risks for this tumour are early age for first menstruationr, late age for last menstruation, hormonal medication, breast cancer in the family history, late age at first child, few children and little breast feeding. You can not do much to your family history or your menstruations- though the age for first menstruation here HAS decreased due to better nutrition. But women do use more hormonal drugs, they choose to have fewer or no children and to have the first child much later and they do not breast feed so much. Most of this due to education, careers and work. So this is a result of life style.  90% of all lung cancers are due to smoking. In men smoking has decreased and so have lung cancer and other smoking related cancers. In women however the situation is opposite. There smoking has increased and lung cancer has now passed breast cancer as the most common cancer death in women. Sad but true since 9 out of 10 of these deaths are meaningless, useless and unnecessary if all avoided smoking! In men prostate cancer is very common - including in me myself, I have had radiation therapy for it and so far seem to be cured. But we do not yet know with certainty what causes it though it is also probably a life style thing mostly. Colon cancer is here more common than gastric cancer and that too seems to have something to do with life style - diet. I do hope this answers it!

You can also reach me at: http://www.liveperson.com/professional/expert-profile.aspx?gsBMQvSJ0S4K1haAm6AtH
There is no limit to the number of questions there. Please note: NEW SITE!

Donations are also always welcome! No amount is too small, no amount is too big!
The language problem I have had with the payment site has been solved!

QUESTION: Dear Sir,

The reason why i asked you the question is that I am planning to apply for a PhD in Scandinavian countries like Denmark or Sweden.

I did my MBA in 2014 in marketing and am interested in Understanding the factors/ lifestyles that is making people more prone to cancer in Denmark?

The reason why i want to work on this topic is because i personally feel that there is a lot more to be researched on cancer from an holistic point of view (looking at it from all angles) and suggesting ways to reduce its risk .
The reason why i chose Denmark as Denmark has the highest diagnosed male:female ratio of cancer patients in the world.

Abhimanyu

My full profile can be read at <http://www.allexperts.com/ep/2295-124032/Choosing-Right-College/Abhimanyu-Garg.h>

So i would like to know if this topic suits my profile?
Your help will be really appreciated if you could let me know some sites or books to refer to before writing my thesis.

Answer
That will be a big task and an enormous field to cover! I can not even estimate where it begins or ends! However what I previously wrote applies to Sweden. For Denmark you have the complicating factors that smoking and alcohol drinking is more prevalent there - in both sexes but probably especially in males. Those factors will probably dominate the picture and maybe drown other possible but perhaps minor factors. Also the diet is different in some ways from the Swedish one and may also increase cancer risks. To find out cancer risk factors is a tough job. One example. Gastric cancer and esophageal cancers are rather common in Japan. This has been known for a long time. When I studied pathology in 1967 one of my professors was Dr. Folke Henschen, M.D., Ph.D.
He was at that time professor emeritus so retired and quite old. In fact he was 86 years old but gave probably the best lectures on that subject. He lectured on the history and geography of diseases. And he mentioned this Japanese situation. It's causes were unknown. As far as I know they still are with any certainty. The now certain connection between smoking and certain cancers like primary lung cancer was debated for decades! So your task will not be easy! Your background is rather uncommon for such a task but perhaps it is good to see the problem with very fresh eyes?! Good luck!

Oncology (General Cancer)

Claes-Gustaf Nordquist, M.D.