Oncology (General Cancer)/Liver Lesions and Cachexia

My husband is 52 years old Canadian, 6 ft, slim build and now weights 120 lbs. He began to notice the weight loss 6 weeks ago.  Smoker (currently) - Alcohol dependent (stopped one month ago)  He was ill with a cough. He has no appetite and has been drinking meal replacements.  Blood tests showed liver and X-rays showed a fibrous mass. A CT scan performed with the following

Right Lung - Volume loss, consolidation, Bronchiectasis, and cavitation. Likely representative of Atypical or Fungal infection. No evidence of wall invasion or rib destruction, possibility of malignancy remains. Mildly enlarged right paratracheal lymph nodes, largest is 12 mm

Liver - Innumerable hypodense lesions,  3 - 5 mm in the range - largest 11 mm. Differential of multiple cysts or hemangiomas. Solid lesions from metastases remain within the differential.

Right Kidney - 2.2 cm right renal lesion is indeterminate. May represent a proteinaceous cyst or a solid lesion.

Further evaluations with Ultra sound or MR are recommended for liver and kidney.

Can hypodense lesions be cancer?
Is it normal to have that many of them in the liver?
There are no lesions in the lung but the state that malignancy is possible, what does that mean?
What does the weight loss indicate? (Dr wrote Cachexia on the x-ray)

Should we opt for the MRI or is the ultra sound better?

Answer to your questions:
Yes they may be cancer though not certain.
No it is not normal but it may happen.
That it is not possible for them to exclude malignancy.
It indicates that he seems to be really ill.
Since they work in different ways I do recommend that you opt for BOTH MRI and ultrasound! And that those scans are judged TOGETHER with his CT scans!
I do hope this explains it?!
I would also recommend needle biopsies of his liver & kidney lesions. Those can probably be done guided by ultrasound.

You can also reach me at: http://www.liveperson.com/professional/expert-profile.aspx?gsBMQvSJ0S4K1haAm6AtH
There is no limit to the number of questions there. Please note: NEW SITE!

Donations are also always welcome! No amount is too small, no amount is too big!
The language problem I have had with the payment site has been solved!

Oncology (General Cancer)

Claes-Gustaf Nordquist, M.D.

Questions concerning Cancer, Oncology, radiation Therapy, Tumours, Chemotherapy, Cytotoxic Drugs, Hormonal Therapy, Radiation Protection.

I'm a Doctor of Medicine and specialist in Medical Oncology and Radiation Therapy educated & trained in Sweden. Now retired. Background in Radiation Therapy, Medical Oncology, Radiation Protection, Nuclear Medicine, Diagnostic Radiology, Gynecological Oncology, Clinical Pathology, Clinical Cytology,Hematology and Internal Medicine. M.D. from the faculty of medicine, Royal Karolinska Institute, Stockholm, Sweden. Have also been an exchange student at the Hebrew University, Hadassah Medical School, Jerusalem Israel. Former medical consultant, Swedish National Board of Radiation Protection. Former Police Surgeon and Medical Examiner, Stockholm Police Department. Former Chief Medical Officer, The Royal Guards, The Royal Horse Guards and the Royal Household Brigade, Royal Swedish Army Medical Corps. You can also reach me on: http://www.lifestylerescue.com/expert/health-fitness-advice/dr-claes-gustaf/128 I have no restrictions in the number of questions there. I also answer questions in these other categories: General History, Military History, Brain Tumors, Breast Cancer, Colon Cancer

I'm a medical doctor and specialist in medical oncology and radiation therapy