Oncology (General Cancer)/Redness on penis causes cancer?

Hi doctor i just read somewhere that smegma and irritation on the penis head can cause cancer?? Im scared because sometimes my penis head turns red. I just started cleaning my penis head a month ago but before that i had not cleaned it and im 21 years old. Is this true? Will i get cancer?

Penile cancer is extremely rare among caucasians and african americans in the US.  It is slightly higher among Japanese, but not much.  That being said, there is a relationship between chronic inflammation of the glans by smegma etc. so cleaning the area is a good idea.  People who are circumcised almost never get penile cancer.  I think if you are cleaning the area as you describe you probably have nothing to worry about. Hopel this helps.  

Oncology (General Cancer)

Donald Higby, M.D.

I can answer almost all questions related to the treatment and natural course of most kinds of cancer, especially cancers of prostate, colon, lung and breast.

I have been a practicing medical oncologist for 36 years, and have been chief of service at a major medical center for 25 years. I've also done research in cancer treatments.

American Society of Clinical Oncology

New England Journal of Medicine American Journal of Medicine Journal of the American Society of Clinical Oncology Hematology Transfusion Medicine

MD, Stanford University Internal Medicine residency, St. Louis University School of Medicine, St. Louis, MO Medical Oncology Fellowship, Roswell Park Cancer Institute, Buffalo, NY

America's Best Physicians, last 14 years