Oncology (General Cancer)/Redness on penis causes cancer?

Question
Hi doctor i just read somewhere that smegma and irritation on the penis head can cause cancer?? Im scared because sometimes my penis head turns red. I just started cleaning my penis head a month ago but before that i had not cleaned it and im 21 years old. Is this true? Will i get cancer?

Answer
Penile cancer is extremely rare among caucasians and african americans in the US.  It is slightly higher among Japanese, but not much.  That being said, there is a relationship between chronic inflammation of the glans by smegma etc. so cleaning the area is a good idea.  People who are circumcised almost never get penile cancer.  I think if you are cleaning the area as you describe you probably have nothing to worry about. Hopel this helps.  

Oncology (General Cancer)

Donald Higby, M.D.