Oncology (General Cancer)/Hair loss

Question
My wife was diagnosed with small cell lung cancer back in 2011, and has survived. During her chemo and radiology, everything went fine, but now her hair loss seems to be permanent. She has very thin, very small, strands of hair and seems to be losing that as well.  Needless to say it is very difficult for her. Is there anything that can be done?

Answer
I don't know how old she is, but that is a factor.  She should have her hormone levels measured if she is relatively young, as the treatment might have basically destroyed her ability to make estrogen.  She could profit from a trial of rogaine.  Other than that, I guess I'd see a dermatologist.  Hope this helps.  

Oncology (General Cancer)

Donald Higby, M.D.