Oncology (General Cancer)/Hair loss

My wife was diagnosed with small cell lung cancer back in 2011, and has survived. During her chemo and radiology, everything went fine, but now her hair loss seems to be permanent. She has very thin, very small, strands of hair and seems to be losing that as well.  Needless to say it is very difficult for her. Is there anything that can be done?

I don't know how old she is, but that is a factor.  She should have her hormone levels measured if she is relatively young, as the treatment might have basically destroyed her ability to make estrogen.  She could profit from a trial of rogaine.  Other than that, I guess I'd see a dermatologist.  Hope this helps.  

Oncology (General Cancer)

Donald Higby, M.D.

I can answer almost all questions related to the treatment and natural course of most kinds of cancer, especially cancers of prostate, colon, lung and breast.

I have been a practicing medical oncologist for 36 years, and have been chief of service at a major medical center for 25 years. I've also done research in cancer treatments.

American Society of Clinical Oncology

New England Journal of Medicine American Journal of Medicine Journal of the American Society of Clinical Oncology Hematology Transfusion Medicine

MD, Stanford University Internal Medicine residency, St. Louis University School of Medicine, St. Louis, MO Medical Oncology Fellowship, Roswell Park Cancer Institute, Buffalo, NY

America's Best Physicians, last 14 years