Oncology (General Cancer)/Ovarian cyst

Question
I'm 35 years old. A few days ago, during a transvaginal ultrasound to look for a missing IUD, they found a cyst on my ovary. I noticed that the tech spent a lot of time looking at it, measuring it and checking the blood flow. So, as I left the room, I glanced at the monitor, which said my ovary was "cystic, septated."

When my doctor came in to talk to me, she mentioned that I had a 5cm cyst on my ovary. She said that normally, they would monitor it through periodic ultrasounds, but that since I'd mentioned wanting a tubal ligation, they would just remove the cyst at that time. Prior to the ultrasound, I had, indeed, mentioned that I had thought about a tubal ligation and had asked her for some information, because I didn't know very much about the procedure. At the time, she had strongly encouraged me to take a little time to consider all of my options so that I could make an informed decision. Then, an hour later, when she talked to me about my ultrasound, she was ready to schedule me for a tubal. I definitely want the tubal ligation, but it's her seemingly sudden change of heart that concerns me. It makes me worry that there is a reason to think that the cyst could be malignant.

She also, along with some other pamphlets that we had talked about, gave me a pamphlet about genetic testing for cancer risk. My mom had breast cancer at age 44. She is deceased, and I don't know if she was ever tested for the BRCA mutation. My understanding is that a BRCA mutation increases one's risk for ovarian cancer, as well as breast cancer. Is that correct? Should I consider getting tested? Is a septated cyst likely to be malignant? I know that there's no way to know if the cyst is malignant without aspiration or biopsy once they remove it, but are there signs and symptoms (or characteristics on the ultrasound) that would suggest cancer? When the cyst is removed, will they automatically test it to determine whether it is cancerous?

Thanks in advance for answering my questions. I want to be prepared, and make sure I ask the right questions before and after the procedure.

Answer
No need to worry. There is always some meager chance of cancer for everybody. I dont think that should be a cause of much concern. since your mother suffered from breast cancer, it will be good for you to be alert and take preventive measures to reduce the risk. That is all.

Links for you:
https://sites.google.com/site/drkhalidmunir/pedindex43213
http://www.webmd.com/cancer/features/8-ways-to-lower-cancer-risk

Oncology (General Cancer)

Dr M Khalid Munir