Oncology (General Cancer)/Groin lymph node

Question
I had an (infected, maybe?) ingrown hair.. I popped the little bubble that appeared and forgot about it.  About a month later I noticed a small (pea sized maybe a little bigger) lump in the same area (not the exact same spot) I figured I would wait a few weeks, but by then I noticed another lump maybe smaller next to it.  I went to urgent care and she said maybe a hair follicle, maybe this, maybe that, but finally decided it was a lymph node and prescribed me cephalexin (500 mg, twice daily).  I was still really nervous about it so I went to my OBGYN the next day, he said they felt like swollen lymph nodes but he didn't think they were anything bad.  He checked to see if I had any vaginal infection, I didn't.  He said to take the antibiotics, wait 2 weeks and if they are still there he would refer me to a surgeon for biopsy.  I have been bothered by this ever since and I can't stop worrying that i have cancer.  One lymph is gone, the other has gone down significantly but I can't still feel it.  I finished the antibiotic on Saturday morning so now I am just waiting.  I forgot to ask my dr what I should do/think if they have gone down.. But one is still there??  Could this be cancer of antibiotics helped the swelling but did not make the one go away completely??

Answer
It was probably a lymph node inflammation maybe caused by an infected ingrown hair. It seems to have reversed mostly so it is very probably not a cancer. But your OB/GYN gave you an option if it did not go away completely. And that was to call again and then get a biopsy done. It is probably not necessary but if you do that and it is not showing anything bad there is no reason to worry anymore! Good luck!

You can also reach me at: http://www.liveperson.com/professional/expert-profile.aspx?gsBMQvSJ0S4K1haAm6AtH
There is no limit to the number of questions there. Please note: NEW SITE!

Donations are also always welcome! No amount is too small, no amount is too big!
The language problem I have had with the payment site has been solved.

Oncology (General Cancer)

Claes-Gustaf Nordquist, M.D.