Oncology (General Cancer)/question

Question
My mom had an MRI of her spine because of back pain and leg burning and tingling.  Her spine showes some problems but then They told her there was an incidental finding showing that her stomach was distended and was pushing her spleen superiorly.  She was not having any type of abdominal pain or bowel problems and just had a normal GYN exam.  They saids he needs a CT of her abdominen.  She has that in 2 weeks.  I am worried about my mom.  Could there be causes of this that are not serious?

Answer
Gastroparesis is a disorder in which the muscles of the stomach cannot contract sufficiently to push out the contents into the small intestine.  Findng this "incidentally" does call for further studies, because one of the causes is obstruction of the gastric outlet, which can be due to tumor.  However certain medications, vitamin deficiencies, endocrine problems, and sometimes genetic issues can cause this.  If she hasn't any symptoms and no tumor is found with a CT scan, she should still see a gastroenterologist and consider some further tests to find out if the problem is serious (and it doesn't have to be cancer to be serious) and if it can be corrected.  I hope this helps.  

Oncology (General Cancer)

Donald Higby, M.D.