Oncology (General Cancer)/THC for pain management/cancer

Question
Over the past 10-20 years there have been plenty of TV reports and news articles about the benefit of cannabis in pain management or nausea blocking.  Is this real or is it something similar to placebo effect?  Also, does it matter if in pill form that is without the "high" effect?  If so, why are groups successful in getting states to allow medical marijuana?

Answer
It is real. At least to some extent. No the "high" effect is not necessary. Here in Sweden there is at least one registered medication based on cannabis. That is no stranger than pain killers like morphine and codeine based on opium! I am a Swede living in Sweden so perhaps I should not comment on political decisions in the USA - though I have more relatives there than here. Patients with pain may be given morphine or codeine. We do not suggest that they should go to an opium den to smoke opium! In my opinion the same should apply here! Why that is not so in some places is somewhat of a mystery to me! But I strongly do suspect that the "medication" effect is just an excuse and a camouflage for the desire of some of growing and selling and making money out of cannabis! Why that is politically tolerated remains a mystery to me! Enough said!

You can also reach me at: http://www.liveperson.com/professional/expert-profile.aspx?gsBMQvSJ0S4K1haAm6AtH
There is no limit to the number of questions there. Please note: NEW SITE!

Donations are also always welcome! No amount is too small, no amount is too big!
The language problem I have had with the payment site has been solved.

Oncology (General Cancer)

Claes-Gustaf Nordquist, M.D.