Oncology (General Cancer)/Level 2 lymph node

I had a c spine MRI with an incidental finding

What can cause a level 2 7mm lymph node identified on an MRI  unchanged over a year?

If it is unchanged over the course of a year, it could be a node that in the past was inflamed and scarred in which case it isn't anything to worry about.  It could be a very low grade lymphoma, which in view of an unchanged size, need not be of concern.  Finally it could be a granuloma, which would mean that something got into the node (a fungus organism, for example) causing a local reaction. If you were my patient I'd do an ultrasound on the node if it cant be felt by the physician) and repeat the US to follow the size.  If nothing changes over five years I'd not worry, but I'm not very worried right now.  

Oncology (General Cancer)

Donald Higby, M.D.

I can answer almost all questions related to the treatment and natural course of most kinds of cancer, especially cancers of prostate, colon, lung and breast.

I have been a practicing medical oncologist for 36 years, and have been chief of service at a major medical center for 25 years. I've also done research in cancer treatments.

American Society of Clinical Oncology

New England Journal of Medicine American Journal of Medicine Journal of the American Society of Clinical Oncology Hematology Transfusion Medicine

MD, Stanford University Internal Medicine residency, St. Louis University School of Medicine, St. Louis, MO Medical Oncology Fellowship, Roswell Park Cancer Institute, Buffalo, NY

America's Best Physicians, last 14 years