Oncology (General Cancer)/meditation and cancer

Dear Dr.Donald Higby, M.D. ,

This is different question. cancer is abnormal cell dividing,attacking body own cells,some damage to DNA,I heard. Lot of people told due to stress estrogen increased and also cancer cells born. meditation controls stress. now seen website about  mindfulness meditation.It  itself giving lot of problem such as depression. If one practices meditation, they get cancer or it protect the body against cancer?

Since we can't tell whether a person who claims to be meditating is actually meditating, we have to depend on objective measurements.  Indeed, real meditation causes changes in hormones that are produced by stress.  This results in less inflammation, lower blood pressure, better glucose control -- all of which probably reduce the risk of cancer.  However, most meditation practitioners also have other life style changes -- vegetarianism, yoga, exercise, weight loss -- so it isn't clear what is improving the health.  I would say that meditation is more likely to help than to hurt with respect to preventing cancer.  

Oncology (General Cancer)

Donald Higby, M.D.

I can answer almost all questions related to the treatment and natural course of most kinds of cancer, especially cancers of prostate, colon, lung and breast.

I have been a practicing medical oncologist for 36 years, and have been chief of service at a major medical center for 25 years. I've also done research in cancer treatments.

American Society of Clinical Oncology

New England Journal of Medicine American Journal of Medicine Journal of the American Society of Clinical Oncology Hematology Transfusion Medicine

MD, Stanford University Internal Medicine residency, St. Louis University School of Medicine, St. Louis, MO Medical Oncology Fellowship, Roswell Park Cancer Institute, Buffalo, NY

America's Best Physicians, last 14 years