Oncology (General Cancer)/Nodular mucosa

My 66 year old husband recently had an EGD which determined that he has "moderate nodular mucosa of the stomach body and fundus". Multiple biopsies were taken. My husband has EGDs every 3 to 5 years due to a history of Barretts esophagus. 3 years ago he was negative for HPylori. The photos the doctor showed us of the stomach were not pretty. The biopsies should be back in a week. My question is what could cause this? Internet research on my part has been quite alarming with MALT lymphoma, etc. How common is this nodularity and what is it usually indicative of, in your opinion?

If your husband has barretts, that's not good, but he's doing what he should.  Barretts is associated with esophageal cancer.  nodular mucosa of the stomach body can be associated with severe chronic gastritis; I've seen it many times in people who have gastritis but can't or won't take drugs like Prilosec, zantac, etc.  That being said, MALT lymphoma is a possibility as is carcinoma.  The biopsy will help.  If it is benign, he should probably be investigated for a hyipersecretory state or possibly achlorhydria (the opposite of hypersecretion of acid).  Keep me posted.  

Oncology (General Cancer)

Donald Higby, M.D.

I can answer almost all questions related to the treatment and natural course of most kinds of cancer, especially cancers of prostate, colon, lung and breast.

I have been a practicing medical oncologist for 36 years, and have been chief of service at a major medical center for 25 years. I've also done research in cancer treatments.

American Society of Clinical Oncology

New England Journal of Medicine American Journal of Medicine Journal of the American Society of Clinical Oncology Hematology Transfusion Medicine

MD, Stanford University Internal Medicine residency, St. Louis University School of Medicine, St. Louis, MO Medical Oncology Fellowship, Roswell Park Cancer Institute, Buffalo, NY

America's Best Physicians, last 14 years