Online Catalogue/Retailing/Online Retail Markets & Marketing

I've got quite a few questions because I am looking to generate more online sales. I'd like to generate more sales by entering new online retail markets & increasing the exposure to the items that I have listed for sale. I am currently only selling on eBay but I am not pleased with the results that I am seeing, so I've decided that it is best to sell some product lines in different markets.

Many of my listings on eBay are not receiving the exposure that they should be and sales are getting slow, also it is somewhat time consuming to list some items for sale on eBay, even when I've built templates and have mostly everything down to a science. Today I have come to the realization that some items may be more profitable to sell in other markets which are less flooded. I feel as if eBay has become too populated and it is not as profitable to sell certain items on there.

Currently I am attempting to research other online markets which are newer and attract different buyers. I've sold on a few years ago and had seen success, but was purchasing return quality electronics and had too many returns. Since then, I have changed the product lines (and where they are purchased from).

Are you familiar with & ? I've heard of them but have not browsed until today. I am going to start to list all collectibles, antiques, unique and non-generic items on & as opposed to eBay -- As long as there is a customer base looking on these markets, I will be able to sell my items at more profitable prices because there is much less competition. I've started to use for media related items as well (I have 1000 - 2000 records for sale as well).

Would greatly appreciate any input or suggestions!

Not knowing anything about what you are selling, it's hard to make any specific comments.

But in general, eBay has the most traffic so the largest audience / more selling opportunities.  The downside of that is the level of competition is high, plus the customers are bargain hunters  and can be high maintenance.  So I always tell people to put the rare stuff on eBay because that eliminates competition and the reach means prices can be bid up quite aggressively.  Selling commodities on eBay is almost always a bad idea.

The more niche sellers can work as long as your products are a fit for the audience; you trade off the wide exposure for a more discerning, slower buyer.  Etsy certainly gets a decent amount of traffic and is a good second choice to eBay, though tends more towards craft so the items would have to be a fit.  Not really familiar with though I understand they started as a dealer-to-dealer sort of wholesale network, so again, product would have to fit, for example, lots of 10 or 20 items.

And that's how it's going to be, over and over.  The questions you are asking are the right ones, but if you're going to move out from eBay / Amazon you need to either buy for the niche marketplaces you like or find viable marketplaces that deal in your products.

Most often, for people who acquire a lot of different kinds of merchandise, what I see is product by product decisions on where to list - this one on eBay because it's rare, this one of Etsy because it has a craft feel, etc.  This makes seller operations more complex but if you're unhappy with the results on eBay then you've either got to change what you buy or find better marketplaces / customers for the merch you own.  

Online Catalogue/Retailing

Jim Novo

Questions about using customer data to inmprove online profitability, particularly in retailing. Topics include profiling customers using weblogs, figuring out which ads generate the highest value customers, how to reduce the numnber of 1x buyers, how to generate higher sales from current customers, customer analysis, ROI calculation, reducing discounts while increasing resaponse rates. Do you collect customer data (purchases, page views, surveys) and not really use it for anything? Want to find out how? Just ask.

Past/Present clients
Cellular One, MBNA, SteelTorch Software, Retek Direct, CBS Sportsline, Kobie Marketing, Aerial, Tupperware, Barnes and Noble, Comcast Corporation, Home Shopping Network