Online Marketing/S.E.O

I would like to know whether its possible to make a website improve its ranking by buying cheap untargeted traffic

Thanks for the question.

However you need to be a bit more specific.

You want to improve your sites ranking by buying cheap, untargeted traffic?

To what end? Are you trying to make money? What are you selling?

Two words in your question concern me.

Untargeted (personally what's the point?)

Are you trying to sell something on the site?

Does it have adsense?

Are there compelling offers on your site that would get consumers to pull out their wallet and buy?

Website rank has been, for the past 2 years or longer, about good, relevant content, with social approval.

Each search engine has their own proprietary algorithms. Good luck trying to figure them out. Google is forever tweaking their own to the tune of over 167 different parameters, perhaps more. Just go to YouTube and watch all the Matt Cutts videos and you'll get a teeny bit of knowledge of what Google is trying to do.

Back links?

Are you talking about buying back links?

Google's been on the hunt for "spammy" back links for a while now so I'd give up on that fruitless endeavor.

They continue to penalizing site rank because of these back links.

They've just introduced their new disavow tool in Google's Webmaster Central to try and help businesses get rid of bad back links which have no relevance to the main sites content. If the incoming linking site will not remove the link and you've made an effort then maybe you turn to the disavow tool. Just tread carefully. You may be admitting to Google that you were one of the bad characters creating all this link mess in the first place. That alone may get your site penalized more than having a few bad links show up.

But perhaps you just want to know if you pay someone to send visitors to your site will it help you rank?

In my opinion the answer to your question is no.

But I'm one voice and there are plenty of others who might have another opinion on the subject.

If you are going to buy traffic to a website and you have something to sell why don't you buy targeted traffic and send them to a landing or squeeze page, get them to opt in to an email list, provide useful information and continue to market to them over a longer period of time.

It's called a "sales funnel" and is very useful in building a sustainable business model.

Hope this helps

Online Marketing

Nat Griggs

Online marketing for business. On Page and off Page SEO to get better search engine results. Quality Link building and why it's important for your business and your website. How to read your competitors website source code and what to do with the information to out rank them in the search engines for your main keywords. (This is so easy you'll be spending the rest of the day snooping on all your competition) Why you need an auto responder for your email on your website and where to find the free ones. Where to find the terms people are using to find businesses like yours. How to fully optimize your Google Places/Maps listing so you get the most search engine power from this free service. Why the name of your business in your domain is killing your web site traffic and what to do about it. Why you should hire someone to write a business "white paper" about your industry and products or service. Video marketing and why videos put up on You Tube can rank on the first page of Google for your business in less than 72 hours and sometimes even the same day. Plenty more that might be willing to share.

Online marketing for 6 years. Sales and marketing for 30 years. Experience in copy writing, website development, and on and offline lead generation. Expertise with search engine optimization, search engine marketing, list building and direct response marketing.

Kenyon College 1983