Online Marketing/Blog Optimization

QUESTION: I am a non geek---a doctor. I have some confusion concerning my blog. Besides writing well-pursuasive  -using keywords and all of that----is there anything I need to know / do to optimize it.
I use wordpress and I see all kinds of forms etc at the end of and beside the posts--is this stuff important? Should I / someone skilled be paying attn to this and is there anything else that should be done to make the blog more successful. I am not looking to hire anyone for seo and not looking for tremendous amount of traffic and looking for simple things I can do myself---or small projects I can hire someone to do.
Please help---thanks

ANSWER: Doctor,

Don't sell yourself short.

I'm not a geek nor a Doctor but have managed to follow instruction, read a ton of material and take action. If you can sit through all those lectures, read all that material, get through residency and become a Doctor; this will make sense to you if you put in the time and again "take action".

The first question I ask my clients when we sit down to go over their marketing plan is what they want to accomplish. More specifically, "What is the end result you want?".

These are the answers I usually get.

"I want to show up on the first page of the search engines."

"I want more business, leads or clients contacting me because they saw me on the internet."

"How do I get listed ahead of my competition?"

and the list goes on....

The question for you might be "How would you define success with your blog?"

Is it that it is found on the front page of the major search engines for your keywords?

Is there enough traffic?

Is the subject matter interesting enough to keep visitors coming back?

Are you building an email list to stay in contact visitors who might want more information?

Are you creating something of value?

That's my favorite question of all.

You only have a short time to make a good first impression and word press gives you a great format to convey your message. The challenge lies in making sure your message gets out and once the visitor is there will they stay or leave.

Yes I've gotten pretty general here but without knowing what the site is about, whether you're trying to monetize it e.g. Adsense, Amazon products, maybe your own e-book, I can't really give you better direction.

Begin with the end in mind.

If your goal is to increase traffic and advance in the search engines then you need good content that is updated regularly.

You should have a Facebook page and yes perhaps a twitter account. The benefits of these two are the social aspect Google is placing such high importance on these days.

Let's say you create a great blog post about a certain subject that you believe people will be interested in. Post a link to it on your FaceBook Page and send out a tweet encouraging everyone to share it with their friends or co-workers.

You should also be on linked in and do the same thing every time you've created something new providing that link to be shared.

Writing a "White Paper" never hurt and you could link that to an autoresponder on your website so you can capture the email address to be able to send them future information you believe to be important to their health.

That's it for now.

Please get back to me if you have any questions or would like to respond privately with your website address so I might be able to provide more pin point advice.

QUESTION: Thanks for the answer. What I am specifically interested in is my blog---besides how to write it keywords -using links---social media etc----Is there any I can do to 'optimize' it? Meaning the 'design'---'behind-inside-in back' of it---not on the 'surface'-text?

In order to be more helpful I would really have to take a look at what you've done already and then I can assist you better.

My recommendation would be for you to make all future responses private or email me at

What you're asking me to do is render a diagnosis or solution without examining the patient.

That's tough to do in any business.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Online Marketing

Nat Griggs

Online marketing for business. On Page and off Page SEO to get better search engine results. Quality Link building and why it's important for your business and your website. How to read your competitors website source code and what to do with the information to out rank them in the search engines for your main keywords. (This is so easy you'll be spending the rest of the day snooping on all your competition) Why you need an auto responder for your email on your website and where to find the free ones. Where to find the terms people are using to find businesses like yours. How to fully optimize your Google Places/Maps listing so you get the most search engine power from this free service. Why the name of your business in your domain is killing your web site traffic and what to do about it. Why you should hire someone to write a business "white paper" about your industry and products or service. Video marketing and why videos put up on You Tube can rank on the first page of Google for your business in less than 72 hours and sometimes even the same day. Plenty more that might be willing to share.

Online marketing for 6 years. Sales and marketing for 30 years. Experience in copy writing, website development, and on and offline lead generation. Expertise with search engine optimization, search engine marketing, list building and direct response marketing.

Kenyon College 1983