Online Marketing/Making sure your site gets found people who could use your services

Question
QUESTION: Hi Nat,

We are a new non-profit organization called A Kind Voice.  We operate a call-in line to help people feeling a bit alone or isolated.  We live upstream from depression hotlines as callers can call in to discuss a book they read, a movie or ball game they saw or most any situation they’d like to discuss.  

My question is how to use online marketing to get the word out about our services.  The goal is to drive call volume.  Our website is www.AKindVoice.org, we also have a Facebook Page and Twitter Account (links are on the website).

Thanks!

--David

ANSWER: David,

Great idea.

I live in Ct so don't need to tell you what happened here on the 14th of December has shaken us all to the core.

I can't help but think there might be ways to recognize and get help for people who end up doing these types of violent acts.

I looked up your page source and saw you have the Yost seo plugin. A very good application for your word press site.

And it looks like you're getting it filled up with good content.

The first step would be to make sure your site has a sitemap. There are plugins for this so that's an easy fix. It just makes the job of the search bots that much easier to have all your pages presented in a more readable format.

The second step would be to sign up at Google's Adwords (free) to take advantage of their analytics under their Webmaster Central area. I didn't see a Google analytics code installed or perhaps I missed it. You can then get Google to verify the site. They also have great tools to track where you're getting your traffic, how long they're staying and what keywords they might be typing in to find your content.

The third step would be to login into forums (Yahoo etc. you can Google Forums and the topic of your choice and you should be presented with plenty of options) and see what questions are being asked regarding the challenges individuals may be facing and then write blog posts with at least 600 word of content that might provide the answer. You should also participate without trying to send everyone to your site.

The fourth step would be to use Google's keyword tool to see what people may be typing in to find a resource such as yours. Maybe this is the third step but no big deal.

The fifth step is to make sure you add your new posts to your FaceBook page. Then make sure to tweet a link to the post. Perhaps open a Linked In account if you haven't already and post a link there to the new post. You're posting a link to your post because hopefully it is titled with a relevant long tail keyword and the search engines pick up on this.

The sixth would be to open up a You Tube account and post relevant videos with the appropriate keywords you are attempting to get ranked. The videos could be answers to questions you're retrieved from the forums or long tail keywords you found on Google's keyword tool.

I could go on and on but you probably get the picture.

Make sure your images are seo optimized. The image on your home page is titled cover51.jpg.
This isn't very helpful to the search engines.

Also make sure you own those images (proof of purchase, rights of use, etc.). I can't even begin to tell you what an expensive mistake it is to use images that you don't have the right to use on your website.

See if any of the Websites you've listed in National Hotlines will allow you to post a link to your site or a relevant page.

Google's all about Social relevance these days so the more content you get up, the more you link to that content, and the more those links get around then the better off you will be when it comes to being found by those people who could use your service.

Hope that helps a little bit and Good Luck.

A very noble endeavor.

QUESTION: Nat,

Comment:
Newton really hits home. One of the reasons for doing this, is having a kind voice available to talk to at the right time, could send someone's life on a totally different trajectory.  For that reason and other reasons I feel a heavy responsibility to get this right.  Thank you for all your wonderful suggestions, you got us a bit further down the road.

Question:
We have a talented singer / song writer working on a song for our concept.  It is going to be something with good artistic merit, rather than a cheap commercial jingle.  Do you have any suggestions on how to promote it?

--David

Answer
David,

I'd shoot a flip video of the artist get it up on You Tube with a relevant keyword title.

Heck you could add the song onto an animoto video and I think you get free video production 30 seconds and under. You can use images and insert a part of the song as background music.

I own the pro version but you can still do a lot with the free one.

There is also EZ vid which I believe is free and will allow you to produce a video that renders well and you could do it that way.

You can also use any of the free movie makers in Apple and Windows to pull this off.

Sounds like a great idea

Online Marketing

Nat Griggs