Online Marketing/Marketing an Ebook

Question
Hi
I saw your reply to someone on selling ebooks, so I am writing you concerning the same thing. (should not get an "expert can't answer question " reply.)
I am editing an ebook fiction novel about vampires in business. I didn't want to upload it on Amazon in Kindle Edition without a promotion or marketing plan.
I would appreciate any help.
Thanks.

Answer
Demetrius,

Since this isn't about producing an EBook, layout etc I should be able to render some assistance.

It's about marketing so here we go.

How do you get the word out about the Ebook so someone will buy it?

If you have a website you can start there. Put up a page dedicated to the release of the book and provide some excerpts for a prospective reader to enjoy.

If you don't then you might consider picking up a domain name like www.vampiresinbusiness.com if it's not already taken.

You could put out a press release through one of the many sites that offer such a service.

Make sure to get the press release over to all the major news services.

They are always looking for stories. If you want to appeal to your local market then contact your local papers and send them a press release and they can run an interview with a local author or something like that.

If you're on Facebook you could write a post about the book and link to your Amazon page or simply back to your own dedicated website. They would go to a page that also had a link to Amazon so could they could buy the book. You could also do this on Linked in. Heck anything you do should also be tweeted. The goal of all this is to build up a raving fan base and social relevance. It's all Google seems to be interested in these days in order to get any sort of ranking. If you're not popular or people aren't sharing your information around the web then you'll be left on page 999.

You might do a short video about the book with perhaps Windows movie maker or Apple's I Movie.
Set up a dedicated You Tube Page with it's own G mail account such as vampiresinbusiness@gmail.com. You can also produce a "free" 30 second video on Animoto and up load that onto YouTube and other video sharing sites like Daily Motion. There are also services that will get your video posted on a majority of the major video sharing sites.

Of course put a link to the video on FaceBook etc. and all the other social sharing sites I mentioned. And don't forget Pinterest.

Now vampires are a hot topic so you should do some keyword research on Google's keyword tool

https://adwords.google.com/select/KeywordToolExternal

and also their Trends tool

http://www.google.com/trends/

or their "Think with Google" site.

http://www.thinkwithgoogle.com/insights/

In a crude way this will help you determine what people are searching for when they are looking for something new to read in the arena of vampire literature. It's best to know your market and these sites can certainly help and will give you some insight into your future readership.

That's a start but I'm sure I'll think of something else today and will add to this answer.

PS Perhaps set up a lead capture page on your website simply asking for an email address to get a copy of the first chapter or two. Then you build up a list of future buyers for your next EBook.

Online Marketing

Nat Griggs