Online Marketing/How do I lower a high bounce rate

Question
QUESTION: How do I decrease my bounce rate on my website?

ANSWER: Bounce rates rise when searchers don't find what they're looking for.

If you know what your bounce rate is then perhaps you have some analytics program tied into your website. That's a good thing. If it's Google analytics you can go to the webmaster section in Google and get all sorts of great information on who is visiting, what pages are getting traffic, what search terms are being used to end up on your site, who is sending traffic - as in search engines or other websites and tons of other bits of information to do a more detailed analysis.

You may find that certain pages are pushing up your overall bounce rate. Take a look at those individual pages and see what you can do to make them more relevant.

Do you get punished by Google for having a high bounce rate? In my opinion yes. But that's only if you are strictly relying on organic traffic to sustain your business model, and if you are relying only on Google to develop new customers. It can be a dangerous proposition to have all your eggs in one basket.

When they see a high bounce rate for particular search phrases then they conclude the page isn't relevant. Your ranking for that page could be effected as well as the ranking of your site in general for your particular endeavor.

Google has been making numerous updates to their search algorithms over the past 3 years. These updates have been designed to weed out Spammy sites and get people the information they want. Happy searchers means Google can make more money charging for ads on those search pages that deliver the correct search results.

QUESTION: When you say relying only on google---what other options do I have-short of things like PPC.

So-google analytics gives data on individual pages? What can be done to a page if it is not performing well?

Answer
Good to hear from you Dr. Snow,

How do you know you have a high bounce rate?

Has someone told you this?

If "you" know you have a high bounce rate then you need to improve your content.

You need to make it more relevant to the search term or page title.

I covered that in my previous answer.

If you have Google Analytics then go to the webmaster section to sort out all the information available to make your site more productive.

http://www.google.com/webmasters/

http://support.google.com/webmasters/bin/static.py?hl=en&page=checklist.cs&tab=1

Google has plenty of training in their webmaster and adsense center to help you figure out ways to reduce your bounce rate.

Going into more detail is beyond the scope of these answers.

Do the home work and I believe you will be able to make strides at reducing your bounce rate.

Online Marketing

Nat Griggs