Online Marketing/Marketing for a Kickstarter

Question
I am a small business owner and my nephew is working on a lean start up company. He needs resources in order to develop his product. He has the idea of crowd funding with Kickstarter.

I believe an online marketing campaign would help get attention and funds but I'm concerned about the level of competition for peoples' attention.

I would like tips on how to cut through the noise and get people involved. And some general advice on what should be done and what should not be done in an online marketing campaign.

Thanks.

,Joseph

Answer
The first thing you need to know for your online marketing campaign is what is your market.  Who are your customers?  Once you know your customers, then you need to identify the words they would use when searching for your product.  You do this by going through Amazon and Google and seeing what words people are using and searching.  Once you know your key words and phrases you need to create a short ad.  You can test out the ad wording by placing it on your page in Facebook and seeing how it looks.  If it looks right (is small enough, eye catching and uses good attention grabbing words) then you can take this post on your page and advertise it on Facebook as well as use a similarly worded ad on Google.
If you are going to use crowd funding you need to remember that most of the funds are going to come from people you are friends with on Twitter and Facebook so you need to increase your number of friends on these platforms not just with numbers but with people that are interested in your product.  Then basically crowd funding is really just preselling your product to enough people to finish development and cover costs for the investors(sales)

hope that helps!
steve

Online Marketing

Steve Kidd