Online Marketing/marketing

Question
Hi Steve,

I'm an author, and my agent has just sold my first book to HarperCollins. It's slated to be released in the middle of next year.

I'm working toward getting maximum online exposure. I plan on starting a blog, doing FB/Twitter, the whole nine yards. Thing is, I don't know anything about online marketing. It seems really technical, and tech stuff is definitely *not* my field of expertise.

My question is, what can you tell me about hiring an agency to manage all this tech stuff for me? Will an agency manage all my social media, maintain my personal website and blog, write blog entries, and generally create a digital brand for me? I'm going for maximum online exposure here.

I'm 48 years old. I have a family and lots of other things going on right now, and to be honest, I don't really have the time or motivation to learn a whole new field. Can you give me some idea about what an agency can do for me, and possibly what all this might cost? I'm trying to get an idea about whether this plan is feasible before I start contacting agencies.

Thanks Steve, appreciate it.

Ron

Answer
Ron

Thanks for the question.

The simple answer is yes there are many companies that can run all of your online presence for you.  Now for some detail:

Everything you can do is a balance between time and money.  How much time do you wan to put in vs how much do you wan to spend.  You may be served to learn some of it yourself.  At the very least any company you consider should be able to easily explain to you what you can do yourself and what you really shouldnt do.

The second thing to look out for is the why.  Can the company explain to you why something needs to be done.  If they either dont have a solid answer or the answer is confusing and technical sounding it is probably NOT you that is the problem.  Often tech companies hide behind jargon and use it to create margin for themselves (ie Mystery=Margin).  Though there are many things you wont want to do and some of them you just frankly shouldnt do but none of it should be because you dont understand why.

Lastly, you want to insure that the company you choose knows how to market a book.  What does your contract with Harper Collins say they are going to do for marketing?  Are there things you are being offered by the publisher that you should take them up on AND mosre importantly are there things they want to upsell you on that you shouldnt spend the money on?  Is there a distribution plan in place or are they just simply publishing the book?  Is there a "book tour" planned?  What is the availability to you for books and what does each book cost you?  Does your contract include an eBook publication?  Do you have the rights to the content?  What happens when your contract is up?
There are a ton more questions to properly market a book, the point was to point out some of the major things that need to be considered specifically when marketing a book.

Your online marketing in all arenas should compliment everything you are doing offline and if put together right can make your book widely successful.  BUT keep in mind the real money most people make from a book comes from everything OTHER than the actual sales of the book.

So again yes it can all be done for you.  There are many of us in the internet marketing arena that can and do do that for our clients all the time.  Make sure you find someone who knows what you need and knows how to do that.

Hope that helps!
Steve
:)

Online Marketing

Steve Kidd