Online Marketing/Ground up marketing

I am embarking on my first adventure into internet affiliate sales and have committed cash. I can only afford to put about 60 hrs/wk into this and I'm devouring every book I can find on marketing in the modern world. I feel good about the technical platform and design but I'm being drown by the fire hose of unknown obstacles. I have a platform but no website. I have a niche product but no vendor/drop-shipper.
  My question is this. In terms of priorities, there are so many things I need to be doing right now; creating content, developing a brand identity, a logo, researching competitors, developing relationships... what should be prioritized in all this mayhem?
  I have a very strong technical background and that part of it doesn't worry me at all. I have been focusing, for the last half a day, on SEO and related techniques. Before that it was competitor research and product/content research.
  I now (most of) what I need to do to be successful, but there has to be a good order of progression for things that need to be done. How would you manage time to have the best bet of knowing the right things at the right times?

Thank you for your time,

I just had a great answer for you and hit the back button by accident and now will try to be a bit more succinct.

I'm also a little late getting back to you and for that I apologize. I'm just getting over the flu which turned into walking pneumonia. You may have already gotten the answers you needed from someone else here.

First, don't spend any more money on any more information. You have all you need to be successful right in front of you.

You mention you can invest 60 hours a week. That's great. Now you need to figure out how to spend that time wisely.

What I'm going to say next may seem a bit disheartening but just hear me out. Everything you've taught yourself has given you a base to work from. But know this, there will always be someone out there that can do any of those things you mentioned above better than you.

They say it takes 10,000 hours to become an expert at something. That means to truly understand SEO, keyword research, sales copy, coding websites you would have to be able to dedicate that amount of time to each of those activities.

I'm here to tell you that you don't. You can hire any of these experts to do those specific items while you focus on the big picture of building a business.

There are sites called Elance and others that allow you to bid out certain aspects of your business at bargain rates. Heck you can even use Fiver for some of the easier tasks.

Early on, one of the challenges I faced was information overload. You get to a point where you get pretty good at some things but you feel you're just not good enough to make the business viable. It's called paralysis by analysis. So you end up buying more information, and more, and more.

The first thing you have to do is decide what you want to sell. And in that thought process what kind of business you want to build. There are some pretty shady affiliate offers out there that take advantage of people. Do you want to establish a business model that makes money off of these types of offers or do you want to build a business helping people improve their lives by providing information that can actually help them?

Anybody with a plan can make money on the internet. You just have to decide which path is the right one.

Now to specifics.

You mention you have good technical knowledge. That's great because now you can communicate effectively with these out-sourcers or subcontractors so you don't get taken advantage of.

You also say you have a platform. What kind of platform are you talking about. Is it a hosting platform such as Host Gator or something like that? Or is it something provided by some affiliate program and they are providing hosting, website name etc.?

Have you purchased a domain name? Is it routed to your hosting provider? Do have a sales page online yet? Have you signed up with a payment provider such as Mastercard, Visa, or PayPal?
Have you signed up with an Autoresponder service like AWeber, Mailchimp, or Constant Contact?

I apologize because I have more questions than answers at this point.

And of course my biggest question is, "Have you made any money at all from selling affiliate products?"

One of the biggest misconceptions of selling on the internet is that you need a website to sell affiliate offers. You can sell affiliate products by advertising and directing the interested people directly to the offer site. As long as your link has your affiliate ID you get paid if they buy. You can do this through Banner ads on Google's content network or by buying ads on Google's search platform. Heck, they even offer a 100 dollar coupon to let you test your ads.

You can also make money by CPA or click by action. Someone clicks on your ad and you get paid if they click on the offer and purchase. Or you can utilize PPC or pay per click. Someone clicks on your ad and you get paid because they clicked on the ad. You make significantly less on these types of ventures but if you test, test and test again and find something that works you can reinvest your earnings to grown your business exponentially.

Since you mentioned you have money to invest then buying advertising is the shortest way to test whether the offer will be effective and what I mean by effective is that people buy and you make money.

If you've been researching content and SEO I'm guessing you might be trying to do this without paying for advertising.

That would mean having a website, creating content, having Google or any other search engine find that content with certain keywords or long tail keywords so that your site will appear to provide relevant information for people searching for a solution to a specific problem.

If the search engines recognize the content as relevant then your site might start to creep up and maybe, just maybe even get to the front page for your keywords. It is a long process for this to happen. You can be great at providing valuable content only to have Google change the rules mid stream knocking you out of your prime position. I liken SEO to trying to hit a quarter with an arrow while moving at 60 mph. Just when you think you've got it lined up something knocks your aim just a bit and your progress is stopped.

It's not impossible to get to the front page of Google but it takes time.

The surest way to see if your venture will make any money at all is through paid advertising. I would recommend that you pursue this first while filling your website with valuable content.

In a nutshell, in order to get paid through affiliate marketing you need to drive prospects to an offer and you need them to buy.

How you do this is the challenge.

Do you pay for advertising?

Do you research and provide content hoping that the search engines see the value in your website and start to rank your site higher than others offering the same thing?

I can offer more help but would need some more information like what area of affiliate offers you've been researching, what ground work you have laid, hosting, website, autoresponders etc.

If you would like to keep the information private then respond privately to me and I'll see what kind of assistance I can provide.

I wish you the best. I know you'll be successful. There are people out there right now with significantly less knowledge than you making a living at this. You just have to sort through the clutter and get to the heart of it.

And the heart of it bears repeating. Find an offer, drive prospects to the sales page, get them to click and buy. All the rest is just a distraction. Nothing happens until some prospect clicks and buys the offer.

You have to decide whether you do it slowly through SEO or more quickly through advertising. Or you do both.

Kind regards

Online Marketing

Nat Griggs

Online marketing for business. On Page and off Page SEO to get better search engine results. Quality Link building and why it's important for your business and your website. How to read your competitors website source code and what to do with the information to out rank them in the search engines for your main keywords. (This is so easy you'll be spending the rest of the day snooping on all your competition) Why you need an auto responder for your email on your website and where to find the free ones. Where to find the terms people are using to find businesses like yours. How to fully optimize your Google Places/Maps listing so you get the most search engine power from this free service. Why the name of your business in your domain is killing your web site traffic and what to do about it. Why you should hire someone to write a business "white paper" about your industry and products or service. Video marketing and why videos put up on You Tube can rank on the first page of Google for your business in less than 72 hours and sometimes even the same day. Plenty more that might be willing to share.

Online marketing for 6 years. Sales and marketing for 30 years. Experience in copy writing, website development, and on and offline lead generation. Expertise with search engine optimization, search engine marketing, list building and direct response marketing.

Kenyon College 1983