How to Have an Online Relationship/How exactly does an online relationship work?

I am a sixteen year old girl. I found my self bored one day and signed up for a teen chat room, and I had some good conversations (along with the bad perverts) This guy and I really hooked- and now we're only chatting with eachother, neither one of us go on that site anymore. I can tell he really likes me, and I am falling for him too. We always find something to talk about and we have a really good friendship now. The good thing is, he lives only about 7 hrs away, so it's not like  a cross-country relationship.

My question is, how does an online relationship work? I mean, I believe a relationship consists a lot on physical connection like hugs and holding hands and kissing. How does an online relationship change between just a friendly chat to a boyfriend-girlfriend kind of thing? How can I tell, and what exactly do I do? We are planning to meet sometime, but how can we have an actual relationship by just chatting online. I can't see how it works, or quite what makes the difference.

Hello, Hanna, BE VERY CAREFUL!

On line relationships are where people put the best of themselves out there. They are "fishing" for something or someone. Many are innocent and looking for friendship or more, but some are hunters and predators.

And you can fall in love with someone who doesn't really exist outside that they created themselves to be on line.

Never meet someone you met on line by yourself. And if a group of you go, stay together, and never get into their car or in any way let them have some control over you. Because you are 16 and a minor, he may be your age and a male and he might be a 45 year old X rape felon - and you can't tell.  

So take it slow, give out no info so they can "find" you, and if you do go to meet him 1/2 way, go with several friends/family members who won't leave you.

Ask Sonya

How to Have an Online Relationship

Sonya Snyder

All questions from how to, to warnings about how not to communicate on line. Offering best and worst case scenarios and suggestions for being safe, and succeeding in, on line dating.

21-year study into the minds of abnormal behavior, and also an on-line dating specialist in the psychological profiles of this new form of dating. Predators abound on the internet - How to spot them is a specialty of mine for readers concerned about who they are conversing with. One in 16 people is a sociopath in the USA - the vast majority are not murderers, but are predatory cons who prey on unsuspecting children, men and women for primarily money, sex and other forms of manipulation and control. Serial sociopathic con artists and offenders in everyday life are responsible for many forms of financial, emotional, physical, psychological and environmental abuse, child abuse, date rape, and domestic violence, which costs the USA $4 Billion dollars annually to repair damage to victims. I am an advocate for safer surfing through on-line dating.

BA in Journalism, and completing MA in Forensic Psychology, specializing in abnormal psychological profiles. Detailing a thesis for a nation-wide school age/classroom program to protect students from future serial offender interaction, by giving them the insight and knowledge to be able to "spot" the signs and classic methods of operation of such individuals who function around us on dating sites and in our every day lives.