How to Have an Online Relationship/Online dating success rate

Question
Dear Dr Nuccitelli

I was wondering whether any studies have been done about the success rate of online dating.

Do people actually find potential partners online based on their profiles or are they just looking for sex?

Does the internet/mobile phones act as a buffer between reality and fantasy, where the person can say whatever they want, without any regards to the other person's feelings?

I have heard stories where people try online dating because they are shy, don't meet many people and/or are fussy about their ideal partners. BUT they never meet the person that meets all their criteria

I have also heard of cases where people will only use technology eg emails and texts and not the old fashioned phone call as a means of communication to their 'dating/relationship'.

Thanks for your insight!

T

Answer
Dear T,

I apologize for not having addressed your questions sooner, but I have recently finished up and published four articles on Cyberbullying. Here in the United States, every October is National Bullying Prevention Awareness Month and National Cyber Security Month. lol...As for your questions, to answer them correctly would take 10-15 pages. Here are my quick answers to your 2 questions.

I. People can and do find partners and love online. Given that the internet is only a mere 2+ decades old, there are no validated longitudinal studies verifying the success of online courtship. That being said, the "Golden Rule" I suggest to follow for any online relationship, whether it be romantic or or not, is always be cautious what you publish in cyberspace. Never send, publish or post images, videos or text that is sexually suggestive or provocative. There are honest people in cyberspace hoping to find "the one" and those engaged in malevolent and nefarious online activities. Some are looking for love, some are looking for sex and some are looking for outlets for their criminal and/or deviant fantasy. Not being able to discern the difference, it is vital to always err on the side of caution.     

II. Excellent, Excellent question. Maybe you should read my Information Age Forensic construct, iPredator, as your question is the entire mission of iPredator Inc. and my new life career objective. If my associates and I can get 1% of Information Age humanity to ask themselves the same question you just asked, I can be grateful and know we did our job. Not only does the internet act as a buffer between fantasy and reality, it has become reality for many people. In short, cyberspace is defined as an abstract and artificial electronic universe. Cyberspace is an illusion, but unfortunately, humanity slowly is becoming "disconnected". Information and Communications Technology (ICT) and the internet has what many experts say causes a "dis-inhibition effect" in some people leading them to engage in nefarious, malevolent and deceptive online activities. Feel free to read one of the sub-constructs of iPredator I formulated a couple years ago termed "Cyberstealth". Here is the link: http://www.ipredator.co/ipredator/cyber-crime/cyberstealth/

Good luck in your pursuits and excellent questions.

Respectfully,
Dr. Nuccitelli
NYS Licensed Psychologist
CEO, iPredator Inc.  

How to Have an Online Relationship

Dr. Michael Nuccitelli