Online Shopping/Ecommerce website development

Question
QUESTION: Dear Sir,

I would like to start an ecommerce site. So i have two queries:

1. Do i require a SSL certificate separately or is the SSL certificate already  built in payment gateways like penpal or ccavenue?
2. Which web hosting and payment gateway is good for ecommerce?

Plz let me know at the earliest.

ANSWER: When starting an E-Commerce online store you have A LOT of options. First you need to choose a shopping cart platform. There are self-hosted as well as non-hosted options.

An SSL certificate is most definitely a requirement. Even if you don't process credit cards on your website it will make your customers feel more at ease knowing you take securing their information seriously.

If you do accept credit cards, then, YES, you must have an SSL certificate. If the payment processing happens outside your site, like how Paypal processes transactions, then technically, no, you wouldn't need one.

Website hosting is a mixed bag. It all depends on your needs though. You may be able to get away with a budget host such as Bluehost or may want to start off with a virtual dedicated server from a place like ServInt. Depending on your growth path you may need to contact a more specialized firm to manage a server.

For most small shops just starting off the shared budget hosting will WORK. But, you may become frustrated by site load times.

Another factor to consider is the design and UI/UX(User Interface/User Experience). If the website is designed poorly or is frustrating to use people will simply find another source for what they're trying to purchase. Part of that experience is load time, so, I would monitor that closely.

QUESTION: Dear sir,
Thank you very much for the fast response.

Is there any way that I as a customer can know if a website has a SSL certificate?  

I wanted to know whether i could develop and design the ecommerce site by myself or do i require a programmer for the same?

In case you have any queries related to Indian colleges plz feel free to msg me at
http://www.allexperts.com/ep/2295-124032/Choosing-Right-College/Abhimanyu-Garg.h

Answer
Sure, simply look for either a lock or https in the address bar.

Unfortunately we must evaluate our own abilities ourselves. You may be able to do this yourself or you might find it more economical to hire someone who does development full time.  

Online Shopping

Jamison Mergens