Opera/Can a girl sing Pieta Signore?

Hello, my name is Adriana, i'm 16 and i'm usually put in the alto section due to my tone being strong but i can sing high so i believe i'm a mezzo-soprano. I live in Texas and we have our Solo-Ensemble contest coming up and i want to go to state and get a Division 1. I've been looking for some songs and i really found Pieta Signore to be a very beautiful song. I youtubed the song but mostly see men sing the song so i was wondering if its alright for a girl to sing this piece? If so, with what emotion should i sing the song, and if you can give me tips on how i could sing this song beautifully. Thank you and I appreciate your help.

Hi Adriana,

There is absolutely no reason why a woman could not sing Pieta Signore.   I sang it when I was younger - and it is a beautiful piece.

Since the translation is
Lamb of God, who takest away the sins of the world, have mercy upon us, etc.
Lamb of God, who takest away the sins of the world, grant us peace, etc.

it is part of the Catholic mass - so a religious interpretation is appropriate.

You might also look at Vergin, tutto amor (it's in the same book of 24 Italian songs and arias) or Tu lo sai.  These two are also quite beautiful.

Whatever you choose to do make sure you just love singing it!  And make sure you really, really know it - that you could sing it in your sleep.  That way when you get nervous your voice and body will know what to do.

I wish you the best of luck!

Pamela Thomas

Questions on Opera performance, repertoire, vocal technique, acting for opera. I have some 20 years experience in opera in both leading roles and chorus. I have sung with New York City Opera since 1981. I have studied voice in NYC for over 20 years and have also taught technique and coached singers in acting.