Opera/Opera summer camps in Europe

Hi Julia! My name is Jade and I am 15. I am looking for a summer camp on Opera singing for next summer in Austria or Germany. Last summer I went to Spoleto, Italy with Spoleto Study Abroad. Do you have any recommendations. My dream is to become an opera singer like you. Besides school, I am taking lessons in piano, singing vocal technics, sight singing, music theory. I have many other questions to ask you but I will come back to you later. Thank you for your help! Regards, Jade.

Hi Jade!,

It sounds like you're very well-prepared for your age and I applaud that- you have to be, in this field, that's for sure.

At any rate, because you are so young (I don't mean that in a negative way, but I simply do not have experience with looking for programs that accept singers at your age) I really do not know what to recommend to you in the way of summer programs in Germany or Austria.

I do know that there are several which are good (I have either done them myself or colleagues have told me they've enjoyed them) but these are all the recommendations from people age 20 and older.  Therefore, you will have to look into each one and contact them to ask if they take younger applicants like yourself.  They might not, unfortunately.

That being said, the places I've heard good things about are as follows: The Franz Schubert Institute in Austria, AIMS in Austria, the Mozarteum has a summer institute in Salzburg, Austria; the Lotte Lehmann Akademie in Germany, and the Lyric Opera of Weimar's summer program in Germany.  These are just the ones I've heard personally about from others' experiences; there are certainly more programs out there- it's just that I don't know anything about them.

I wish you good luck with your singing, and hope that you find a good program and enjoy it!

Yours truly,

Julia Katherine Walsh

I can answer all questions relating to studying Operatic singing, the female voice, acting for singing, attending music conservatories for college, voice competitions, studying voice in New York City, and the lifestyle of an opera singer.

I am an Opera singer who is beginning her Professional Career.

Professional Women Singers Association

Westminster Choir College Music Journal, Hunter College Newspaper,

B.M. in Voice Performance, Westminster Choir College M.A. in Voice Performance, Hunter College