Opera/Vocal Range????

Question
Dear Ms. Thomas,

I want to audition for a musical at my middle school. On the audition form I must write my vocal range. Soprano, alto, tenor and bass are the options. I can sing F2 to G5. I'm stronger at the higher notes. Please tell me what vocal range to put on my form.

Margaret

Answer
Hi Margaret,

It's a little hard to tell whether you are an alto or soprano without hearing the quality of your voice.  And did you mean your low range is F3 (not F2).  That is the F below Middle C.  And you can go to G5 (the G above the C above middle C.  Just want to make sure.

I think because of your age and because you say that you are stronger at the higher notes I would put Soprano.  

That's what I would do!  Good luck with your audition.  What are you going to sing?

Best,

Pamela

Opera

Pamela Thomas