Opera/Counter tenor Singing

Hello Pamela

I am a 16 year old male and i am currently undergoing vocal training. My natural voice a the moment is of a baritone (i sing from an G2 to a F4 occasionally, my voice moves around a lot). But my true passion is singing in my falsetto (where i can sing from from a G3 to a E6, i changes a little from day to day). My first question is, is there such a thing as "professional" Sopranist training, because sometimes after singing in my falsetto for a while my voice will get tired, raspy, airy, once or twice it wouldn't go into my higher extreme. I wanted to be able to go into those higher notes with relative ease because i feel that sometimes i struggle in singing in the higher extreme because of improper breath support or lack of technique specific for falsetto (if there is any, that is kinda also part of my question). And my 2nd question ties into that, am i hurting my voice, after singing as i mentioned my voice feels a little raspy, airy, and weak (this happens after about 30-60 minutes of singing) And in the next morning it takes a wile to get it going, i have to employ a lot of vocal fry and do lots of scales to get it into those higher notes (anything above a F5). Thanks for your attention and i await your answer soon.

Hi Arthur,

I'm sorry for the delay in answering you.  Honestly I don't know very much about countertenor singing.  But what I can say is that you don't want to injure your voice by singing a lot in the falsetto IF you are singing wrong.  All men need to develop their falsetto which make their natural voices stronger - but I think if you keep just working the falsetto you must make sure that your larynx is down and not rising up.  That will make you very tight and tired.

Did you speak to your teacher about this?  I would think that he/she would be able to guide you.

You should definitely read this wonderful article by my teacher, David Jones.  He has great knowledge of the voice, technique, etc. and I think this article will help you understanding what you want to do.

If you are serious about becoming a countertenor I think you must find a teacher who understands that fach and who understands how to teach basic technique correctly.

Sorry I can't be of more help - but David's article is full of knowledge and he gives you some exercises as well.

I wish you the best of luck!

Pamela Thomas

Questions on Opera performance, repertoire, vocal technique, acting for opera. I have some 20 years experience in opera in both leading roles and chorus. I have sung with New York City Opera since 1981. I have studied voice in NYC for over 20 years and have also taught technique and coached singers in acting.