Opera/Mezzo-soprano/baritone duets

Hello! I decided to ask You a question in hope you could really help me. I need a duet for mezzo-soprano/baritone. I searched for ages, but I couldn't find any duet of that kind. Please be so kind to help me, I would be very grateful if you do. With all respect, S.

Hi Suzana--

You're right that there are not many.  Here are three possibilities:

"Dunque io son" from Rossini's Il barbiere di Sivglia
"In questo suolo" from Donizetti's La favorita
"Fatal mia donna" from Verdi's Macbeth (Lady Macbeth is normally a dramatic soprano although sometimes she is sung by a mezzo)

I hope this helps.

Mike Leone

I have a special affinity for Italian opera, but I also have a lot of experience with French and German opera. I know somewhat less about opera from countries other than these, although there are some exceptions. My main area of interest is the period 1775-1925, although there are a few baroque and modern works that I love.

I've been listening to opera since 1963 and have amassed a large collection of recorded opera during those years. My interest here spans the entire history of recorded opera, going back to its very earliest days.

I have published a couple of lengthy reviews and a tribute to Mario del Monaco in Immortal Performances, have had some letters appear in Fanfare and have several reviews on

B.A., University of Maryland 1973, M.A., University of Texas 1975, J.D., University of Houston 1998 (none of these degrees are in music).