Opera/David Jones CD

Question
Hi Pamela,

I understand you have studied with David Jones in the past, and wondered if you could help me with a question I have about his CD, which I downloaded recently.

I'm a tenor (vocal range up to the tenor High Eb)and I wondered how high I should take the exercises on his CD.

I understand Mr Jones is a baritone and the exercises feel a little low for me. Would I be right in thinking it's ok to take the 5-tone scales to F/F#, arpeggios to G/Ab and the extended arpeggios to B/Bb? Or is this the sort of question which I'd be better off emailing him to ask?

I LOVE the CD and I'd really like some advice on how to safely extend the range of the exercises on it so I can can get the most out of it.

Thank you,

Stuart

Answer
Hi Stuart,

Glad you got David's CD - those exercises are really excellent.  And yes, definitely you can take the exercises up as high (or low) as you want to as long as you aren't hurting yourself.  If you are a tenor no reason you can't go up to the B flat or B (or even C).  I think I would take the arpeggios up to b/Bb if you can as well.

Sing where you are most comfortable but then push yourself a little higher..  

It's really hard to advise you without hearing you in person but I think you are on the right track.  If you can, try to find a good teacher so you can study in person.  Sometimes David does a seminar in the UK.  Keep checking his website and if you can go then you should.

All the best,

Pamela

Opera

Pamela Thomas