Opera/How do I make my voice less hard

I have the ability to sing opera. In fact it is easier for me to sing opera than normal songs. My problem is that I taught myself and have no idea how to make my voice sound sweet as opposed to hard. I have been told that my singing voice is lovely but when i record it i hear how sharp it is rather than smooth and sweet.

Hi Anika,

It's hard for me to tell what you are really doing without hearing a sample of how you sing.  Do you have that available?

Sometimes the voice can be "hard" or harsh if you are over pushing the air.

But really - the best thing to do is find a good voice teacher and take lessons live.  That way the teacher can hear what you are doing and demonstrate how to correct whatever you are doing wrong.

All the best,

Pamela Thomas

Questions on Opera performance, repertoire, vocal technique, acting for opera. I have some 20 years experience in opera in both leading roles and chorus. I have sung with New York City Opera since 1981. I have studied voice in NYC for over 20 years and have also taught technique and coached singers in acting.