Opera/obscure record

Hi. I have identified most of the operas issued on Gramophone, but one highlights disc has eluded me. Their #20103, with a copyright of 1954, has La Boheme & Lohengrin selections. The singers are not familiar to me, but they are obviously major voices. 'Any idea who is on this no-credits "National Opera Singers" disc?

Hi Steve--

I am not familiar with the series you are talking about.  However, I do know that there was a series called "World's Greatest Operas" recorded in the early 1940s in the United States that utilized anonymous singers.  The singers have since been identified, and here is the cast for the two operas you mentioned.  Eleanor Steber, who is in the Bohème, is pretty unmistakable, so if you can send me a link to that recording, I can tell you whether it is she.

La Bohème:

Rodolfo - Armand Tokatyan
   Schaunard - Arthur Kent
   Marcello - George Cehanovsky
   Colline - Lorenzo Alvary
   Mimi - Eleanor Steber
   Musetta - Annamary Dickey (Laue)

Recorded on 30 May, 25 and 26 June 1940.

Lohengrin - Arthur Carron
Elsa - Rose Bampton
Ortrud - Lydia Summers
Friedrich von Telramund - Mack Harrell
König Heinrich - Norman Cordon

Recorded c. 1942

I hope this helps.

Mike Leone

I have a special affinity for Italian opera, but I also have a lot of experience with French and German opera. I know somewhat less about opera from countries other than these, although there are some exceptions. My main area of interest is the period 1775-1925, although there are a few baroque and modern works that I love.

I've been listening to opera since 1963 and have amassed a large collection of recorded opera during those years. My interest here spans the entire history of recorded opera, going back to its very earliest days.

I have published a couple of lengthy reviews and a tribute to Mario del Monaco in Immortal Performances, have had some letters appear in Fanfare and have several reviews on

B.A., University of Maryland 1973, M.A., University of Texas 1975, J.D., University of Houston 1998 (none of these degrees are in music).