Opera/obscure record

Question
Hi. I have identified most of the operas issued on Gramophone, but one highlights disc has eluded me. Their #20103, with a copyright of 1954, has La Boheme & Lohengrin selections. The singers are not familiar to me, but they are obviously major voices. 'Any idea who is on this no-credits "National Opera Singers" disc?

Answer
Hi Steve--

I am not familiar with the series you are talking about.  However, I do know that there was a series called "World's Greatest Operas" recorded in the early 1940s in the United States that utilized anonymous singers.  The singers have since been identified, and here is the cast for the two operas you mentioned.  Eleanor Steber, who is in the Bohème, is pretty unmistakable, so if you can send me a link to that recording, I can tell you whether it is she.

La Bohème:

Rodolfo - Armand Tokatyan
   Schaunard - Arthur Kent
   Marcello - George Cehanovsky
   Colline - Lorenzo Alvary
   Mimi - Eleanor Steber
   Musetta - Annamary Dickey (Laue)

Recorded on 30 May, 25 and 26 June 1940.

Lohengrin:

Lohengrin - Arthur Carron
Elsa - Rose Bampton
Ortrud - Lydia Summers
Friedrich von Telramund - Mack Harrell
König Heinrich - Norman Cordon

Recorded c. 1942

I hope this helps.

Mike

Opera

Mike Leone