Ophthalmology & Optometry/EYE BURN

Opto-geek wrote at 2013-10-27 06:23:58
If your eyes burn after removing  the lenses, it is probably because you have developed a mild keratitis, either from oxygen deprivation or a sensitivity to your solution.  The contact is acting as a bandage--that is why you are not aware of it while wearing the lenses.  In addition to being a clinical professor in the contact lens department of an Optometry school, I have also conducted studies on protein deposition in soft contacts lenses. The protein absorbed into the lens, and coating the lens, is negligible in terms of oxygen transmission through the lens.  Think about it: when soft lenses first came on the market, they were designed to be replaced once a year.  The lenses were much thicker, and had a lower oxygen transmission rate, but most people did just fine.. This was before chemical disinfectants, so the lenses were heat treated to disinfect them.  As time went by, the lenses became less comfortable because of the friction from a sticky lens, and people were more apt to develop an allergic type reaction to the denatured proteins on the lens (giant papillary conjunctivitis.) Try changing to a hydrogen peroxide based cleaning system or rinsing your lenses off well with non preserved saline before inserting them.

Opto-geek wrote at 2013-10-27 06:39:25
If your problem is due to an ill fitting lens, changing to a fresh lens will not solve the problem.  If your eyes feel better after day one of using a new pair, it is likely that your solution is the culprit, as the lenses come packed in preservative free saline.  RGP lenses have a much higher Dk value (oxygen transmission rate) than any soft lens.  In addition, every time your blink, you push oxygen rich tears under the lens.  Actually, a well fitting RGP lens is much healthier than a soft lens.  The original hard lenses were made of PMMA, which transmitted zero oxygen through the lens.  Most labs stopped making PMMA lenses years ago.  Solution sensitivity is very common and specific to the brand.  

Ophthalmology & Optometry

Dr. Margaret Placentra Johnston, OD