Ophthalmology & Optometry/Cataract surgery not recommended

A little history:  I am 67, female, & have worn glasses since age 3.  There is a birth defect in left eye causing partial blindness.   One opthomologist called it "morning glory syndrome".   One opthomologist said I have no depth perception and so have "optical confusion" or metamophosia. Also, have ambliopyia, astigmatism, true farsightedness, and around age 48 got presbyopia.  I have for some time used separate glasses for getting around all the time and another pair for reading or the computer.  Sometimes I put drugstore readers on top of my distance prescription glasses to read something or work on the computer.  Opthomologists have tried bifocals and trifocals but those drove me crazy and so separate pairs of glasses were prescribed.   Had computer glasses also when I worked full time.  Two years ago I was experiencing more distortion in vision and color dimming.  Also, I was seeing bright blue flashes of light (like the color on the airport tarmac).  In my extensive eye exam, the opthomologist diagnosed cataracts and issued stronger prescriptions.   However, he said cataracts weren't bad enough yet to warrant surgery, AND did not recommended surgery because,  "You are already so badly farsighted and have so many other eye problems, you may be among the 5% where surgery is not recommend."  He said the blue flashing lights could be due to extreme emotional stress, which was certainly true at the time.   This long preamble brings me to ask if there is anything to stop the cataracts from getting worse?   I rarely drive anymore, as I am worried about my vision.  Your professional opinion particularly on the cataracts is greatly appreciated.

Cataracts come mostly from the aging process where the natural crytalline lens in the eye becomes, hazy, cloudy, or opaque. UV sunglasses and good nutritional health may thwart the progression of this ailment but the good news is, almost no one goes blind from cataracts. When vision is impaired so that even eyeglasses no longer improves vision to acceptable levels, and glare and olors become apparent and uncomfortable, then surgical removal of the cataractous lens is performed with an intraocular lens implanted in its place. vision is immediately restored and remains for life.  hope this helps.  good luck

dr. ken

Ophthalmology & Optometry

Any and all questions with regard to ocular ailments, eye diseases as cataracts, glaucoma, macular degeneration, diabetic retinopathy, etc , eye and visual sympomatology, eyeglasses, contact lenses, low or subnormal vision, pediatric vision conditions,and special and unique ailments will be discussed.

36 years of clinical experience in opticianry and therapeutic optometry. Still in private practice with special interests in vision conditions, diagnosing and treating ocular ailments, prescibing treatment plans which include medicine, eyeglasses, and contact lenses primarily. Although surgery is not within the realm of my area of expertise, I co-manage many pre and post -op surgical cases which include Lasik and PRK procedures.

New Jersey Society of Optometric Physicians American Optometric Association

B.A.,1968, Hunter College of the City University of New York B.S.,1970, Pennsylvania College of Optometry O.D.,1973, Pennsylvania College of Optometry Therapeutic Pharmaceutical Administration Certification, New Jersey 1992

Clinical Efficiency Award, 1973, Pennsylvaania College of Optometry