Ophthalmology & Optometry/Lazy eye in toddler?

Question
Dear Doctor Berger

Thank you for your assistance in advance.

We recently noticed that our toddler (almost two years old), has one eye which tends to wander in the opposite direction to the other when she is tired. This is not a problem all the time, but only when she is really exhausted.

Is this something to be concerned about? If so, should we refer this to an optometrist or opthalmologist?

(Note: I am quite short-sighted and my hubsand has kerataconus, so she does not have the best genes as far as eyesight is concerned).

Answer
You definitely should have your toddlers eyes checked out. Amblyopia, if present, has its best chance of being treeated successfully before the age of 5 or 6. additionally, a cycloplegic eye examination should be performed to ascertain if there exists any refractive error which needs to be treated. eyeglasses, visual therapy (like eye patching), eyedrops, and even eye surgery are the treatment options for binocular vision problems, eye turns (strabismus), and laxy eye conditions. A childrens specialist in either optometry or ophthalmology is a good starting point.  Good luck

Dr. Ken

Ophthalmology & Optometry

DR. KENNETH BERGER