Ophthalmology & Optometry/astigmatism, farsightedness, amblyopia

Question
My 6-year-old (almost 7) twin sons were diagnosed with astigmatism, farsightednes and amblyopia. They were early readers/writers (sine the age of 4) and watched TV without complaining.

The ophthalmologist gave us these prescriptions for glasses:
Twin 1:
OD: +3.75 (spherical); -1.50 (cylindrical); X016 (axis).
OS: +2.75(spherical); -1.50 (cylindrical); X163 (axis).

Twin 2:
OD: +3.00 (spherical); -1.50 (cylindrical); X023 (axis)
OS: +2.50 (spherical); -1.50 (cylindrical); X162 (axis).

What are their chances to improve their eyesight? The ophthalmologist said we are somewhat late. Do they need to wear the glasses all the time?
Thank you!
Zoya

Answer
Hi Zoya,
There isn't much difference between the left and right eye for Twin1, only 1 diopter which is a threshold amount of difference to explain amblyopia.  There is hardly any difference between the eyes for Twin2. The amount of power is medium, and along with the astigmatism I would think glasses will be a big help for detail work and close work especially schoolwork.  The big issue here, and the details of which are missing, is what is the vision with and without glasses for each eye of each Twin.  No matter what, get the glasses and use them a lot, but rechecking after several weeks of glasses attending tasks that have details, not just TV watching will be important.  The age limit is conventionally 7 or 8, though recent studies suggest that trying to treat amblyopia at any age may be somewhat possible.  I think that unless there is a crossed eye or some other reason for an amblyopia or reduced vision, then after using the glasses the twins will be fine.
Mitch Axelrod, OD

Ophthalmology & Optometry

Mitchell Axelrod