Ophthalmology & Optometry/cleaning new glasses

Question
hi..i paid a fortune for new glasses, and am trying to find the best and lower cost ways to clean them without scratching. i bought a spray and cleaning wipes from lenscrafters, but find they dont clean well all the time. is there anything you can recommend to get and use that work without having to worry about scratching up the new lenses? thank you!!

Answer
James,
Great question.  I've found that to avoid scratches, the best thing to do before cleaning them is to run them under water so it removes an fine particulate that may be on there.  You can get the most soft or moist cloth in the world, but if there's a grain of sand or grid on the edge of the lens, as you wipe it across it's going to scratch the surface.
After the rinse, I always suggest a premoistend wipe.  I like these better than a bottle and cloth because the clothes get dirty and can trap dust, etc, possibly risking a scratch.  A premoistened towelette is always fresh/clean/ready to go.
They are a little more expensive, but may be well worth it.
Hit walmart or amazaon.com and pick up some of these and use them for a few weeks, see what you think.
Good Luck!
Dr.D

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=z

Ophthalmology & Optometry

John M. Dovie, OD, FAAO