Ophthalmology & Optometry/Colour temperature of light bulbs

Question
QUESTION: Hello,

My optician has recommended one colour of light to help with my eyestrain and an electrician has recommended another, so I wanted to ask for a 3rd opinion. Would warm white, cool white or daylight bulbs be best for helping the eyes relax when working and helping with eye strain?

Also, the electrician recommended a category 2 louvre with a high frequency ballast fitting and flourescent tubes. Would you think this is a good option for eyestrain if I use the right colour temperature flourescent tubes?

Everything else in my office is set as good as it can be regarding elimating glare on the computer screen and I take regular breaks.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Best wishes,
Becca

ANSWER: Becca,

Thanks for the question.  There's actually a bit of some research going in to this right now.  Not just for optics and comfort, but also looking into the progression of eye problems, like myopia.  Generally, full-spectrum (daylight) are better for the eye, as they mimic the outdoor environment - it is thought that this will lessen the likelihood of progression of things like myopia.  In general, we tend to recommend staying away from the 'blues' or cool lights for eyestrain.  Blue light is the shortest wavelength and carries the most energy, so the feeling is that a more warm light will be better for the eye.  Another option is to block the blue lights with a yellow or amber filter, like Gunnars glasses do.
http://www.gunnars.com/

I wish there was more concrete science, but they're working on it!

Good Luck!

Dr.D

QUESTION: Hi there,

Thank you very much for that. Can I just double-check a couple of things: I thought that daylight was a cool/blue type of light, am I wrong about that? Also, are you saying that even with eyestrain it would be good to still opt for the daylight bulbs or should I stick to the warm white?

Finally, I know that warm white is approx 2700-3000 K, what is the colour temperature of daylight bulbs?

Many thanks
Becca

Answer
I apologize for not answering that more clearly.  I had started my response at one point and had to put it down (because of my kids) and picked it up again later.

Warmer colors, including the "blue-blocking" yellow filters, tend to be better for many people for visual comfort.

The full-spectrum (mimic outdoors, "daylight") bulbs are being investigated because there seems to be evidence that in the long-term, the more exposure to full-spectrum 'natural' lighting, the better the eye develops--may be important in slowing down myopia/etc in children.

Good Luck!
Dr.D

Ophthalmology & Optometry

John M. Dovie, OD, FAAO