Ophthalmology & Optometry/Rogue eye spasm

Hi there! I know that eye twitches are very common and generally go away, but I've recently been having a different type of "twitch" that has been worrying me.In my right eye, on the top lid, in the outer corner. I have been having (for 5 days) a spasm every time I squeeze my eyes shut/sneeze/blink too hard.

Generally, when I have eye twitches, it's because of lack of sleep or stress (I'm a 21 yr old female). This is not like those twitches, and I'm not stressed/tired. The spasm will happen only when I reopen my eye, and it starts out strong and then slowly dies down over the course of 10-15 seconds.You can hardly see it, except one or two of my eyelashes subtly move as the twitch pulsates.

It's been stressing me out because I get nervous when things could possibly be wrong with my eyes. I don't want this to be some sort of thing that will lead to nerve damage or something (yes, dramatic, but possible?). Should I see someone about this and make sure that something isn't wrong/stuck up there? Or what would your best course of advice/action be?

Thanks so much!

Blepharospasm or lid tic can indeed occur from stress, anxiety, fatigue, etc but also from diet and toxicity. For example, too much caffeine (soda, coffee, tea, chocolate,etc), sugar, nuts, cheeses, alcohol, smoking, etc can trigger this response.  Also eyestrain can be the culprit so my advice to you is get your eyes checked out to figure out what the culprit could be to cause your lid spasms.

Good luck

dr. ken

Ophthalmology & Optometry

Any and all questions with regard to ocular ailments, eye diseases as cataracts, glaucoma, macular degeneration, diabetic retinopathy, etc , eye and visual sympomatology, eyeglasses, contact lenses, low or subnormal vision, pediatric vision conditions,and special and unique ailments will be discussed.

36 years of clinical experience in opticianry and therapeutic optometry. Still in private practice with special interests in vision conditions, diagnosing and treating ocular ailments, prescibing treatment plans which include medicine, eyeglasses, and contact lenses primarily. Although surgery is not within the realm of my area of expertise, I co-manage many pre and post -op surgical cases which include Lasik and PRK procedures.

New Jersey Society of Optometric Physicians American Optometric Association

B.A.,1968, Hunter College of the City University of New York B.S.,1970, Pennsylvania College of Optometry O.D.,1973, Pennsylvania College of Optometry Therapeutic Pharmaceutical Administration Certification, New Jersey 1992

Clinical Efficiency Award, 1973, Pennsylvaania College of Optometry