Ophthalmology & Optometry/white speck in iris (corneal ulcer)?

My Eye
My Eye  
Hello Dr. Kenneth, I am a male, 18 years of age. Over the past several months I periodically wake up with pain in my eye, sensitivity to light, and a burning sensation. This reoccurs once a month, maybe less. I do not wear contact lenses, I just believed it to be eye strain until I noticed a small white "speck" intruding upon the outer rim of my iris. I've sought some kind of diagnosis on the web, but can not seem to find substantial evidence to conclude as to what it is. Although very little, this speck has grown to some extent, and another has formed on the opposite side of the iris. I appreciate your efforts in diagnosing whatever this may be. I have attached an image, the noticible speck is on the farthest left rim of my iris.

Thank you

Dear Forrest:  From the looks of the pics, the clinical presentation appears to be subepithelial infiltrates (small ulcers) which usually is caused by  a staph infection. You definitely need to be evaluated and probably will need to be put on topical antibiotic?/steroid eye drops until this condition has resolved. Burning, pain, and light sensitivity are indeed the symptoms of this condition. Hypersensitivity and allergic reactions can also cause this type of presentation, so you will need to be evaluated.  Good luck

Ophthalmology & Optometry

Any and all questions with regard to ocular ailments, eye diseases as cataracts, glaucoma, macular degeneration, diabetic retinopathy, etc , eye and visual sympomatology, eyeglasses, contact lenses, low or subnormal vision, pediatric vision conditions,and special and unique ailments will be discussed.

36 years of clinical experience in opticianry and therapeutic optometry. Still in private practice with special interests in vision conditions, diagnosing and treating ocular ailments, prescibing treatment plans which include medicine, eyeglasses, and contact lenses primarily. Although surgery is not within the realm of my area of expertise, I co-manage many pre and post -op surgical cases which include Lasik and PRK procedures.

New Jersey Society of Optometric Physicians American Optometric Association

B.A.,1968, Hunter College of the City University of New York B.S.,1970, Pennsylvania College of Optometry O.D.,1973, Pennsylvania College of Optometry Therapeutic Pharmaceutical Administration Certification, New Jersey 1992

Clinical Efficiency Award, 1973, Pennsylvaania College of Optometry