Ophthalmology & Optometry/Worried about my eye spasm

Hi there! I know that eye twitches are very common and generally go away, but I've recently been having a different type of "twitch" that has been worrying me.In my right eye, on the top leg, in the outer corner, I have been having (for 5 days) a spasm every time I squeeze my eyes shut/sneeze/blink too hard.

Generally, when I have eye twitches, it's because of lack of sleep or stress. This is not like those twitches, and I'm not stressed/tired. The spasm will happen only when I reopen my eye, and it starts out strong and then slowly dies down over the course of 10-15 seconds.You can hardly see it, except one or two of my eyelashes subtly move as the twitch pulsates.

It's been stressing me out because I get nervous when things could possibly be wrong with my eyes. I don't want this to be some sort of thing that will lead to nerve damage or something (yes, dramatic, but possible?). Should I see someone about this and make sure that something isn't wrong/stuck up there? Or what would your best course of advice/action be?

Thanks so much!

Hi Barbara,
Because you nervous I would suggest you see your doctor or eye doctor about it for a checkup and reassurance. Normally, with your history, I would wait a week or two longer and be mindful of the rest/exercise/nourishment/stress issues.  I think you are talking about your eyelid, not the eyeball so in that case the worries about the eyeball are minimal.  So get it checked out or wait, your choice, but if it continues or worsens, certainly see a doctor about it.  If other things seem twitchy or crampy or wrong with your body, you can see your general doctor and mention that as well.
Mitch Axelrod, OD

Ophthalmology & Optometry

Mitchell Axelrod

I'm happy to answer questions about eye exam findings and procedures, glasses and contact lens types/prescriptions/problems. I can also answer questions about general eye conditions/diseases. I do not answer questions concerning surgical techniques/procedures. Please state your age or within a small range when asking questions, as it is often important.

Optometrist 19 yrs.

Doctor of Optometry, cum laude; Residency in Ocular Disease