Ophthalmology & Optometry/bubble on white of eye


I have had an irritation in my eye for 6 days now and finally had my daughter look for me and it is a bubble. It is raised and I think that is what causes the irritation. It itches and makes my eye water. I am 52 years old and also diabetic. I am wondering what it is and should I see an ophthalmologist or my family Dr.

Hi Tami,
It may be a 'conjunctival cyst' since they look like a bubble on the white part of your eye.  But since i can't see it or have any other info, i can only suggest you see an eye doctor.  It doesn't have to be an ophthalmologist, it can certainly be an optometrist, but either will have the tools to examine it better than a family doctor.  If it has been almost a week and it isn't any better yet I would tell you to have it checked out for certainty.
Mitch Axelrod, OD

Ophthalmology & Optometry

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Mitchell Axelrod


I'm happy to answer questions about eye exam findings and procedures, glasses and contact lens types/prescriptions/problems. I can also answer questions about general eye conditions/diseases. I do not answer questions concerning surgical techniques/procedures. Please state your age or within a small range when asking questions, as it is often important.


Optometrist 19 yrs.

Doctor of Optometry, cum laude; Residency in Ocular Disease

©2017 About.com. All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]