Ophthalmology & Optometry/eye drops

Question
there are quite a few different types and their ingredients vary. I am very allergic to synthetic chemicals and take no pharmeceuticals of any kind.  I am leery of the side effects and their toxic properties.  I just recently had an eye exam......fairly and most routine, but it required the procedure to dialate my pupils, etc to view the cornea and lens of my eye.  I refused the drops and had the old shot of air test instead.  I would like to know more about the ingredients.....which are words that end in "cide"  and their dangers.  I hope you are willing to answer my questions.  Nina

Answer
Hi Nina,
To be clear, the air puff tests the inflation pressure of your eye and that is it. The dilating drops are used to make the pupil bigger so we can view the peripheral retina.  The cornea on the front of your eye an be viewed entirely at anytime.  The lens periphery is visible when the pupils are dilated but isn't a big concern.

Remember there is a 'cide' in decide,and if you decide to avoid all pharmaceuticals, you are simply living in an older time, and my have consequences you have not considered.  Everything in the world you consume is 'chemical' and organic doesn't mean fine.  I laughed the other day when I saw a dry cleaner with the sign "we use organic chemicals".  It would make any chemist laugh like crazy.  Those nasty chemicals' names don't end in 'cide' nor are their mechanisms of action described with 'cide'.  

I agree it's better not to use eye drops unless there is a reason, and once in a while you should have the peripheral retinas examined...the frequency depends on your 'risk factors' which you would talk to your doctor about.  Most eye drop preservatives are irritating to the eye, as are most active ingredients like red out and allergy.  But the 'non preserved lubricating drops' are great and you should be comfortable using them anytime.  
Best of luck, Happy Holidays and Happy New Year
Mitch Axelrod, OD

Ophthalmology & Optometry

Mitchell Axelrod