Ophthalmology & Optometry/Glaucoma

How can high pressure within aqueous humor,the space between cornea and eye lens, damage optic nerve since they do not come in contact with each other?

Hi Jon,
There are several theories about how optic nerve damage from glaucoma occurs.  Assumming we are considering the 'high pressure' model, as opposed to a vascular or mechanical model, the intraocular pressure is evenly distributed throughout the eyeball not just where the fluid is produced.  The pressure tested in the front of the eye is just as great as the pressure pressing on the optic nerve head in the back of the eye. Think of measuring pressure of a tire by sampling at the valve.   The normal path for the aqueous is convoluted: it is produced in glands behind the lens, flows towards the front of the eye by flowing around the peripheral edges of the lens and then between the lens and iris through the pupil and finally exits through the 'angle' between the cornea and iris into blood vessels.  The aqueous is not the wet tears that keep the eye moist.  
Hope that helps,
Mitch Axelrod, OD

Ophthalmology & Optometry

Mitchell Axelrod

I'm happy to answer questions about eye exam findings and procedures, glasses and contact lens types/prescriptions/problems. I can also answer questions about general eye conditions/diseases. I do not answer questions concerning surgical techniques/procedures. Please state your age or within a small range when asking questions, as it is often important.

Optometrist 19 yrs.

Doctor of Optometry, cum laude; Residency in Ocular Disease