Ophthalmology & Optometry/Lens options for eyeglasses

I am a 22 year old male, living in Dhaka, Bangladesh. Most lenses that are available and popular worldwide are available here too.

My current prescription is -9.5 left eye and -10.25 right eye.

I have been wearing glasses since I was 9 years old, and thus have a crooked nose, due to the heavy spectacles I wore.

I spend most of my day, about 6 hours or more sitting in front of a computer, and I play outdoor sports as well. Another minor frustrating problem occurs when I have trouble playing cricket due to fear of the glass breaking and sinking into my eye.

My question is given my prescription and habits, what lens material, lens coating and frame material should I choose to have the lightest, thinnest possible eyeglass.

Btw, I have read allaboutvision.com articles, so have some idea about the lenses available, though couldnt choose one.

Thank You

Dear Brown   You would be very wise to be fitted with soft contact lenses for sports and to get the heavy eyeglass lenses off your face during the 6 hours of computer use. For eyeglasses , there are many different thin lightweight high index lenses that are currently avaailable. Polycarbonate lenses are also good lenses. You need to ask your optician who deals with the best lenses for you every day.  good luck

Dr. Ken

Ophthalmology & Optometry

Any and all questions with regard to ocular ailments, eye diseases as cataracts, glaucoma, macular degeneration, diabetic retinopathy, etc , eye and visual sympomatology, eyeglasses, contact lenses, low or subnormal vision, pediatric vision conditions,and special and unique ailments will be discussed.

36 years of clinical experience in opticianry and therapeutic optometry. Still in private practice with special interests in vision conditions, diagnosing and treating ocular ailments, prescibing treatment plans which include medicine, eyeglasses, and contact lenses primarily. Although surgery is not within the realm of my area of expertise, I co-manage many pre and post -op surgical cases which include Lasik and PRK procedures.

New Jersey Society of Optometric Physicians American Optometric Association

B.A.,1968, Hunter College of the City University of New York B.S.,1970, Pennsylvania College of Optometry O.D.,1973, Pennsylvania College of Optometry Therapeutic Pharmaceutical Administration Certification, New Jersey 1992

Clinical Efficiency Award, 1973, Pennsylvaania College of Optometry