Ophthalmology & Optometry/Lens options for eyeglasses

Question

I am a 22 year old male, living in Dhaka, Bangladesh. Most lenses that are available and popular worldwide are available here too.

My current prescription is -9.5 left eye and -10.25 right eye.

I have been wearing glasses since I was 9 years old, and thus have a crooked nose, due to the heavy spectacles I wore.

I spend most of my day, about 6 hours or more sitting in front of a computer, and I play outdoor sports as well. Another minor frustrating problem occurs when I have trouble playing cricket due to fear of the glass breaking and sinking into my eye.

My question is given my prescription and habits, what lens material, lens coating and frame material should I choose to have the lightest, thinnest possible eyeglass.

Btw, I have read allaboutvision.com articles, so have some idea about the lenses available, though couldnt choose one.

Thank You

Answer
Dear Brown   You would be very wise to be fitted with soft contact lenses for sports and to get the heavy eyeglass lenses off your face during the 6 hours of computer use. For eyeglasses , there are many different thin lightweight high index lenses that are currently avaailable. Polycarbonate lenses are also good lenses. You need to ask your optician who deals with the best lenses for you every day.  good luck

Dr. Ken

Ophthalmology & Optometry

DR. KENNETH BERGER