Ophthalmology & Optometry/prescription question

Question
Hi:

Just wondering if you can give me an idea of the difference in strength between these two prescriptions:

Sphere Cylinder  Axis Add
OD  -4.00  -3.75     85   +2.25
OS  -3.00  -2.50     80   +2.25

OD  -4.25  -3.50     95   +2.00
OS  -3.00  -2.50     75   +2.00

The first prescription also had in indicator of prism with a pyramid figure.

I recently went to a opthamologist and felt that the vision part of the exam was not very thorough - he gave me the first prescription listed the second is a few years old.  I went because of an issue with floateres and flashers as well as some recent difficulty focusing when reading - he did not indicate any problems other then the new presciptions.

THanks for your input.

Answer
Neither prescription indicates the need for prism however the prescriptions are similar with the difference being the axis od=f the cylinder which represent your correction for astigmatism. Most likely if the retina is intact with no evidence of tears or detachment, your flashes and floaters arises from a vitreous detachment or liquification and separation of the gel in the eye.

dr. ken

Ophthalmology & Optometry

DR. KENNETH BERGER