Ophthalmology & Optometry/prescription question

Just wondering if you can give me an idea of the difference in strength between these two prescriptions:

Sphere Cylinder  Axis Add
OD  -4.00  -3.75     85   +2.25
OS  -3.00  -2.50     80   +2.25

OD  -4.25  -3.50     95   +2.00
OS  -3.00  -2.50     75   +2.00

The first prescription also had in indicator of prism with a pyramid figure.

I recently went to a opthamologist and felt that the vision part of the exam was not very thorough - he gave me the first prescription listed the second is a few years old.  I went because of an issue with floateres and flashers as well as some recent difficulty focusing when reading - he did not indicate any problems other then the new presciptions.

THanks for your input.

Neither prescription indicates the need for prism however the prescriptions are similar with the difference being the axis od=f the cylinder which represent your correction for astigmatism. Most likely if the retina is intact with no evidence of tears or detachment, your flashes and floaters arises from a vitreous detachment or liquification and separation of the gel in the eye.

dr. ken

Ophthalmology & Optometry

Any and all questions with regard to ocular ailments, eye diseases as cataracts, glaucoma, macular degeneration, diabetic retinopathy, etc , eye and visual sympomatology, eyeglasses, contact lenses, low or subnormal vision, pediatric vision conditions,and special and unique ailments will be discussed.

36 years of clinical experience in opticianry and therapeutic optometry. Still in private practice with special interests in vision conditions, diagnosing and treating ocular ailments, prescibing treatment plans which include medicine, eyeglasses, and contact lenses primarily. Although surgery is not within the realm of my area of expertise, I co-manage many pre and post -op surgical cases which include Lasik and PRK procedures.

New Jersey Society of Optometric Physicians American Optometric Association

B.A.,1968, Hunter College of the City University of New York B.S.,1970, Pennsylvania College of Optometry O.D.,1973, Pennsylvania College of Optometry Therapeutic Pharmaceutical Administration Certification, New Jersey 1992

Clinical Efficiency Award, 1973, Pennsylvaania College of Optometry