Ophthalmology & Optometry/Retina

Question
Right Optomap
Right Optomap  
Left Optomap
Left Optomap  
QUESTION: Hi Dr. Dovie,
         My 6 y.o. daughter had her eyes checked annually last week. On her right eye optomap, her doctor found a long spot that looks like sausage along the blood vessel at 12 o'clock.  Compared with her last year optomap, this spot is larger.  I see another smaller spot at 9 o'clock.  Her doctor recommended to come back in 6 months.  I'm also concerned of some  white bright areas around her macula on both sides, they are more on the left side. Other than that her eyes are all normal. I'd like to know your opinion about those problems.  Thank you very much.
P.S. : I am attaching my daughter's optomap.

ANSWER: Chi,
Thanks for sending in your question and the retinal scans. The bright white areas around the macula are very normal. There is a shiny, reflective surface in the back of the eye that fades with time, but is very obvious in young children. That is all you're seeing there, reflection.
The darker area noted in the left eye, the sausage like appearance along a blood vessel does raise some concern for me.
The way the optomap works is it scans the retina with a green laser and a red laser, and reconstructs an image based on those reflections - it's not a 'true' photograph.  Because of that, we can get some retinal scans that look slightly different than they do in 'real life,' or if we were to look with a regular dilated exam, or use a true retinal photo.
The darker area is essentially a less reflective area, and we can get this for numerous reasons, but my concern is that because it's along the path of a blood vessel, we should make sure it's not edema, swelling, or inflammation.
In addition to the optomap scans, your daughter needs (and hopefully received) a true, full, dilated eye exam.  With the dilated exam it would be easier to tell what those shadows / darker areas are.
I apologize for not being able to describe more, but without a physical exam, it's too difficult to tell.
I would suggest asking more questions, getting her dilated, or getting a second opinion.  Monitor in six months may be fine, if there's a reason--but it sounds like the diagnosis was missing.  It could be that it's just an anomalous scan and there's nothing to look at at all.
Good Luck!
Dr.D

QUESTION: Hi Dr. Dovie,

Thank you very much for your prompt reply.  
Could you explain to me what you would mean "It could be that it's just an anomalous scan and there's nothing to look at at all."
The doctor said that she would dilate my daughter's eyes when she saw something wrong. That's the procedure this office practices.  But she didn't do it for my daughter and I forgot to request because at that time I was so bewildered by this finding.  The doctor said the darker area might be a freckle, but because it is larger than last year, she recommended to recheck in 6 months.
I'm going to get a second opinion.

Best Regards,
Mrs. Phan

Answer
Anomalous scan means that the scan / processing itself could have had a 'glitch.' Remember, this is not a photograph, but an artificial image put together from two laser scans. Almost like a computer putting together an mri, somethimes signals scramble, or get interference, etc.
I'm not an optomap expert, but again, nothing replaces a dilated exam.  When in doubt, dilate and look at it.  "Only dilate when something is wrong" seems approptiate - something new is in the retina, or at least on the scan it looks like there is.  Seems like an appropriate time to me.
I'm not the physician, and I don't have all of the facts, but it is very curious if there is something 'new' in the retina, that is unidentified, and the eye isn't dilated.  Maybe they have a good reason, but I can't think of one.
Dr.D

Ophthalmology & Optometry

John M. Dovie, OD, FAAO