Ophthalmology & Optometry/Shadowy vision in left eye

Question
I recently notice that at night, something strange seems to happen to my left eye.  It's like my hair has fallen over it, making that side if my vision a little darker than usual.  But I realize it's not my hair, but the eye itself.  When I close my left eye, the room seems normally lit.  Then when I only open my left eye, the room is noticeably darker.
As I recall, this has happened before.  I'd say I first noticed it a year ago.
I'm only 18 years old, no serious medical conditions.  I do wear daily contacts.
Why is my left eye going dark?
Thanks!

Answer
You may have a large vitreous floater that "swims" in your line of sight, giving you an appearance of things appearing "darker" in one eye.  Why not get it checked out with a good dilated fundus exam?  If this is whatit is, it is benign and harmless  

Dr. Ken

Ophthalmology & Optometry

DR. KENNETH BERGER