Ophthalmology & Optometry/Small bright flashes

Dear doctor ken. I have been experiencing small bright flashes for some time now. These flashes last for some seconds n fade away. Although i have floaters n i get checkups regularly. Last time i had a checkup, the back of my eyes we re fine but these small flashy dots keep coming all the time. Each time i blink, it flashes and fades and after some time, its gone and all of a sudden, its back again. What am i experiencing please?. I am worried. Its occurs more in my left eye than my right. Sometimes, sudden movement lik standing and walking causes it to occur. Once i sit down or lie down and read something then look away, its gone. So wat triggers this flashy spots?. Could it be related to occular migrane?. Thank you

Yes most definitely can be related to ocular migraine.   Bright flashing lights that lasts for a few seconds can be caused by the separation and liquifaction of the vitreous gel in the eye, called a PVD (posterior vitreous detachment). Stress, smoking, alcohol, coffee, tea, soda in excess can also cause these symptoms, as well as nuts , cheeses, etc. If it continues get an opinion from a neurologist.

good luck

dr. ken

Ophthalmology & Optometry

Any and all questions with regard to ocular ailments, eye diseases as cataracts, glaucoma, macular degeneration, diabetic retinopathy, etc , eye and visual sympomatology, eyeglasses, contact lenses, low or subnormal vision, pediatric vision conditions,and special and unique ailments will be discussed.

36 years of clinical experience in opticianry and therapeutic optometry. Still in private practice with special interests in vision conditions, diagnosing and treating ocular ailments, prescibing treatment plans which include medicine, eyeglasses, and contact lenses primarily. Although surgery is not within the realm of my area of expertise, I co-manage many pre and post -op surgical cases which include Lasik and PRK procedures.

New Jersey Society of Optometric Physicians American Optometric Association

B.A.,1968, Hunter College of the City University of New York B.S.,1970, Pennsylvania College of Optometry O.D.,1973, Pennsylvania College of Optometry Therapeutic Pharmaceutical Administration Certification, New Jersey 1992

Clinical Efficiency Award, 1973, Pennsylvaania College of Optometry