Ophthalmology & Optometry/Chalazion

I just had my chalazion removed two days ago and the doctor gave me Tobradex ointment to put on 4 times a day with warm compress.

This is my first to have chalazion and it started in early October, 2012, inside the upper left eye.  And I got another one inside my upper right eye in December.

I tried hot compress and the left one finally got bigger and there was a white dot on the outside. Finally I went the to doctor to have it drained.  The doctor didn't remove the right one because he believed that it would go away with the Tobradex and hot compress.

I know it has only been two days, but I am just wondering how long it will finally go away and should I visit another doctor who specializes in Chalazion or has more experience in this field..

I live in New York and would like to know if there are any recommendations on doctors or associations that I should go to.

Thank you very much for your time reading this.

Justine Lin

Dear Justine,

Two days is not enough time to see any significant change. However, the amount of time taken to subside, depends on nature of the chalazion and your individual healing capacity.
Firstly, take the hot compress seriously. Doing it just once or twice a day is not enough. It needs to be hot enought o have an effect but not so hot to scald you. Do the compress every 2 -3 hours to see a better effect.
The Tobradex does not reduce size of the chalazion, but as it is an antibiotic, it only avoids infection.

Hence, hot compress is the key.

Wait for a week till you see an eye doctor.
In New York, I personally know Dr Barrie Soloway, you may visit him or any doctor at the New York eye and Ear Infirmary.

Anand Shroff

Ophthalmology & Optometry

Dr Anand Shroff, MD, FICS

I can answer any question on eye care, expertise in Laser eye surgery, LASIK, Epi LASIK, cataract, glaucoma, keratoconus- corneal collagen crosslinking.

OF LASIK, we are one of the first centres to use the wavefront guided LASIK or custom LASIK procedures. I train doctors worldwide for these wavefront procedures, our centre is the referral centre for our Wavelight Laser Technologies, Germany in India.

ASCRS [American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery]certified by USA- Joint Commission International

MD Ophthalmology and FICS [Fellow of the International College of Surgeons]

please see http://www.shroffeye.org and www.lasikindia.in