Ophthalmology & Optometry/Eye pressure and pain

Question
Hello,
I am a 23 year old female and over the last 2-3 months I have experienced a pain or pressure in my left eye intermittently. I do not wear contacts or glasses, with 20/20 vision in both eyes. I've never really had too many problems with my eyes. The pressure is all over my left eye and comes and goes at random. Drops don't help and I can't seem to figure out what causes it. The feeling is almost like that of when you sleep on your face and your eye was squished, but often the feeling will come in the middle of the day. I had what appeared to be a broken blood vessel one day when the eye pain had been a little more frequent that week and I didn't feel it for a while but it did return. It does not change my vision and the only difference in appearance is that there is one blood vessel on the outer corner that gets large and red, but it doesn't turn very bloodshot either. Sometimes it will last an hour other times, all day. It comes and goes at random and I have yet to see a common denominator. Should I go to an eye doctor, regular doctor or what? Someone recommended aspirin, but I feel as though that is only a symptom fixer, not problem fixer. Any advice would be helpful. Thank you.

Answer
Dear Anna.   It sounds from your description, that you may be have issues with your sinuses .  See your PCP for an assessment .  This can cause pressure pain and tenderness Above the eyes in the frontal sinus area.  Antibiotics and/ or decongestants are often prescribed. Don't be surprised if he advises an X-ray or
MRI  to aid in the diagnosis.   Good luck.    Dr Ken  

Ophthalmology & Optometry

DR. KENNETH BERGER